Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
I assume that this argument comes from a "value for money" point of view...?

In my case: I wouldn't be prepared to consider another FWD car (as I've stated before, I just can't stand understeer, which is what's going to happen when you reach the limit 90% of the time in a FWD car). I'd pay the extra cash for what I consider to be a superior drivetrain layout (RWD or AWD, provided it's a decent system and isn't biased towards FWD).

I have read your argument in the R8 thread, but I feel I must disagree:

- You say the reason you don't like AWD is because it corrupts steering feel...well surely a powerful FWD car would be worse?

- An AWD drivetrain and steering feel aren't mutually exclusive. It just depends on how focussed the car is and how thorough the development has been.*

- I feel that a nicely balanced AWD car can be just as rewarding to drive as a nicely balanced RWD car, just in a different way.

* Sadly though, most new cars, no matter what the layout, are being spoiled by the use of overly light electric power steering for economy and emissions reasons. - We have a 2004 Mini One D and a 2007 Mini Cooper D - The older One D, with hydraulically assisted steering, feels much better in that department. The electric setup on the Cooper D is irritating as it spoils the driving experience, essentially disconnecting you from what's going on at the business end of the car.

From a driver's point of view, this would be brilliant...however; if you mid-mount a V6, you're going to lose the back seats instantly, and this defeats the object of a hot hatch for the vast majority of potential buyers (I can't remember the last time I saw a real Clio V6 on the road).

- A hot hatch is about blending everyday usability with sporty performance and handling. If the buyer didn't need rear seats and a boot with a large opening, they could buy something like an MX-5 or a used Boxster for the same money.

However, this is why I love the BMW 130i hatchback: You get a great FR chassis (rare these days in anything costing less than £40k), a comfortable driving environment AND rear seats AND a useable boot. It'd be an ideal daily driver for someone like me (who occasionally needs to carry either big objects or 3 passengers).
Yeah, the rear seats would be gone, but you still have a good part of the front part of the hood.

That's the whole point of a crazy car though.

But yeah, it would essentially turn it into a track car.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
to be honest.. if i wanted something RWD and sporty, i'd get a coupe, if i wanted something RWD and practical, i'd get a falcon... i wouldn't get a RWD hatch with all the packaging compromises it represents.
hot hatches just work better as a FWD or even AWD imo.
Good point.

I miss the Honda Integra/Acura RSX already.

Quote Originally Posted by P4g4nite View Post
oh yeah, turbo power, RWD and a 6 foot wheel base.
That'd be fun and safe in equal measure.
The craziness factor is the only cool part about it.