Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Golf GTi VS Golf R32

BMW straight sixes are gorgeous. I had a 2.0litre (only, I know you can't really compare to M3) BMW straight six and it sounded fantastic at high revs. Just lovely sound of VANOS intake. Mmmm. Also I don't think I ever topped the oil level up the three years I had it.

Thats what I love about BMW straight sixes, clean lovely understated sound. Best engines ever in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by TheScrutineer View Post
    BMW straight sixes are gorgeous. I had a 2.0litre (only, I know you can't really compare to M3) BMW straight six and it sounded fantastic at high revs. Just lovely sound of VANOS intake. Mmmm. Also I don't think I ever topped the oil level up the three years I had it.

Thats what I love about BMW straight sixes, clean lovely understated sound. Best engines ever in my opinion.
    It's not called Bavarian Engine Factory for nothing.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    It's not called Bavarian Engine Factory for nothing.
    Definetly. In the 90s no one could touch them. The V12 engine for the McLaren F1 - THE BEST ENGINE EVER. Take your W16 Volkswagen Veyron forced induction rubbish and chuck it back in your 2 tonne Bentley were it belongs! Maybe give the gearbox designer a pat on the back for designing something to handle that power. Thats about it.
    Last edited by TheScrutineer; 10-17-2009 at 02:00 PM.

Definetly. In the 90s no one could touch them. The V12 engine for the McLaren F1 - THE BEST ENGINE EVER. Take your W16 Volkswagen Veyron forced induction rubbish and chuck it back in your 2 tonne Bentley were it belongs! Maybe give the gearbox designer a pat on the back for designing something to handle that power. Thats about it.
    I agree with that. All BMWs I've driven had superb engines.
    Visca Catalunya!

You'd have to congratulate with the guys from Ricardo, as VW didn't even understood how they managed to built it.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

That's also a superb engine. The three (VAG's VR6, Alfa's Busso V6, and the M-fettled mill) are probably the best modern sixes. In no particular order in my opinion.
    Sorry...have to disagree:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSlkKO-ERD0&feature=PlayList&p=84D3851EB3080F4B&playnext= 1&playnext_from=PL&index=26"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSlkKO-ERD0&feature=PlayList&p=84D3851EB3080F4B&playnext= 1&playnext_from=PL&index=26[/ame]

"This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Wow!

Modified exhaust is cheating though...
    Visca Catalunya!

Wow!

Modified exhaust is cheating though...
    The uploader of the video states something like "he was assured that the exhaust is modified", but trust me...they all sound like that.

You may remember a member named "Gaffer" from a while ago? She is the daughter of the ex General Manager of TVR and owns the pre-production prototype Sagaris (complete with open wheelarch slats etc.). When I met her at the TVR Owners' Club's annual meeting (which is only about 30 minutes' drive from where I live), she told (and demonstrated) me that her car was somewhat quieter than most AJP6 engined Tivs. And apparently, this was the car that was officially used for the Government's noise and emissions tests...
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

The GTI does 150mph.
    Visca Catalunya!

On a track the GTI by a big margin. For everyday driving the R32 has such a great sounding engine it has a very strong appeal but in the end the extra weight counts against it, the GTI is definately the better car.

Thread Information