Thread: V6 joins Courier range

V6 joins Courier range

http://www.autoweb.com.au/cms/A_103776/newsarticle.html

Ford Introduces V6 Power to Courier

20 January, 2005

Image Gallery

Ford Australia has raised the stakes in the burgeoning light commercial vehicle market with the introduction of V6 power to its expanded Courier range.
    Courier V6 offers class leading power and torque from its mighty 4.0-litre V6 engine, as well as two new transmissions, a unique suspension set-up and a host of new interior features.

“The Courier range now boasts six-cylinder power for the first time in its long history,” Courier Brand Marketing Manager Damon Paull said.

“With class leading power and torque, the Courier V6 is set to become the new benchmark for customers wanting big six-cylinder performance in conjunction with Courier's renowned workhorse capabilities and light truck versatility.

“As well as the awesome power and torque of the V6 engine, new Courier models will come loaded with a host of new features.”

On sale from January 2005, Courier V6 is available in both 4x2 and 4x4 configurations, across Super Cab and Crew Cab body styles and in GL and XLT specification levels, providing customers with an even greater selection of Courier models to choose from.

Recommended retail pricing starts from $30,990 for both the manual and automatic versions of the 4x2 GL Crew Cab, up to $43,190 for the top of the range automatic 4x4 XLT Crew Cab.

“The new PH Courier V6 heralds not just the addition of a V6 engine to a number of models in the Courier range, but is in fact an altogether new range of vehicles within the Courier line-up,” Paull said.

The Courier line-up now extends to 31 variants in total – 23 variants in the Courier four-cylinder range and eight variants in the Courier V6 range.

Powertrain
    The 4.0-litre SOHC V6 engine in Courier produces a class-leading 154kW of power at 5250rpm and an equally impressive 323Nm of torque at 3000rpm.

With an established pedigree from its service in Ford products around the world, the German-built engine offers a whole new level of power and performance to light truck customers.

Mounted longitudinally, the V6 engine has two single overhead camshafts – one on each bank of the V6 to control both the inlet and exhaust valves.

Technical highlights of the V6 engine include:

Variable Induction System – the compact two-stage Variable Induction System varies the effective intake pipe length of the inlet manifold to maximise airflow at all engine speeds. Longer effective tract lengths improve low to mid range torque below 4000rpm while shorter tract lengths allow for greater power above 4000rpm. The VIS also benefits fuel efficiency.
    Ford's EEC V Power Control Module (PCM) controls the engine management, PATS (Passive Anti Theft System), automatic transmission (available on Crew Cab models) and the air conditioning system. EEC V is a state of the art engine management system that ensures precise strategic engine function control.
    Electronic sequential fuel injection for smoother power delivery and optimal fuel efficiency.
    Aluminium head – lighter weight material with better heat dissipation properties.
    Courier V6 also offers a choice of two new transmissions, a heavy duty five-speed manual and the option of a sophisticated five-speed automatic on Crew Cab models.

The heavy-duty five-speed manual, which features a self adjusting clutch for consistent and precise clutch feel and operation over the life of the clutch, delivers the durability and reliability that is critical to light truck customers.

The five-speed automatic sets the benchmark for the light truck market in terms of transmission sophistication.

The electronically controlled, adaptive shift automatic features a closer spread of gear ratios to take advantage of the 4.0-litre V6's enhanced high rpm output, for improved acceleration, driveability, emissions performance and fuel economy.

An overdrive switch allows a lock out of fifth gear for maximum responsiveness and driver control during overtaking manoeuvres and under heavy towing conditions.

For automatic 4x4 V6 models there is now a ‘Shift on the Fly’ selector switch mounted on the centre console, which enables electronic actuation of the transfer case for shifting between 4x2 and 4x4 modes (2WD-4WD-4WD Low).

The system works in conjunction with the electronic remote front wheel hub lock, so ‘on demand’ four wheel drive capability is available without requiring the driver to step outside the vehicle to manually lock the front hubs.

Suspension
    The suspension on both 4x2 and 4x4 Courier V6 models is a unique ‘Hi Ride’ version of the four-cylinder Courier 4x4 set-up, which has been raised by 20mm to facilitate the installation of the V6 engine.

The unique suspension specification gives all Courier V6 models greater ground clearance and a more aggressive stance, while at the same time offering the driver a commanding view of the road.

Front dampers have also been retuned for improved ride quality and body control over rough or uneven surfaces.

Interior
    In addition to the list of enhancements introduced with the recent PH upgrade for four-cylinder models, all Courier V6 models will also feature standard air conditioning and a large double-lid centre console storage compartment with integrated arm rest and ‘cooler box’.

An adjustable air conditioning vent is located within the centre console storage area to control the cooler box function, enabling the storage of drinks or perishables. A foam insert that can hold six cans of drink is also provided.

Adding to the car-like comfort and spaciousness of Crew Cab models are headrests for the outer seating positions on the rear bench seat, as well as a rear seat centre armrest with two in-built cup holders.

Keyless entry is standard on XLT variants in conjunction with a siren based alarm system.

Interior trim is cloth on GL and sports weave on XLT, while carpet floor covering and carpet floor mats are standard on all V6 models.

Exterior
    The muscular, F-Series-inspired look of the Courier continues with the V6 range, incorporating the detail changes introduced on PH Courier four-cylinder models, along with some exterior design elements specific to the V6 line-up.

Wheel arch flares are fitted to all V6 models, with wide wheel arch flares on XLT and slimline versions on GL.

The surface finish on the 15-inch alloy wheels fitted to XLT is also unique to Courier V6, as is an 80-litre fuel tank on both GL and XLT, which maximises the fuel carrying capacity for greater range between re-fuelling.

Courier V6 has its own palette of exterior colours to further distinguish the V6 models from their four-cylinder counterparts. Two solid paint colours are available, Satin White and Colorado Red, along with six metallic colours – Pure Silver, Storm Grey, Jeans Blue, Ink Blue, Ruby Red and Black Sapphire.

“The introduction of Courier V6 will raise the stakes in the ultra competitive light truck market,” Courier Brand Marketing Manager Damon Paull said.

“Courier V6 builds on the established reputation of the Courier brand, boasting an engine with class-leading power and torque and an optional five-speed automatic transmission, as well as an impressive array of new features that are sure to appeal to light truck customers.

“During 2004, the Courier range has capitalised on the growth in both the 4x2 and 4x4 Pick-Up/Cab Chassis segments, with Courier 4x2 sales up 18.2 per cent on 2003 figures, while Courier 4x4 has also performed well with sales up 11.9 per cent.

“So with PH Courier four-cylinder already making its presence felt in the marketplace and PH Courier V6 arriving in dealerships this month, the Courier brand is ready to continue taking the fight up to the light truck competition during 2005.”

Recommended retail pricing *

4x2 Courier V6 GL Crew Cab Pick-up (manual) $30,990
    4x2 Courier V6 GL Crew Cab Pick-up (automatic) $30,990
    4x2 Courier V6 XLT Crew Cab Pick-up (manual) $33,490
    4x2 Courier V6 XLT Crew Cab Pick-up (automatic) $33,490

4x4 Courier V6 GL Super Cab Pick-up (manual) $37,690
    4x4 Courier V6 GL Crew Cab Pick-up (manual) $37,990
    4x4 Courier V6 GL Crew Cab Pick-up (automatic)
    with dual airbags and ABS $40,390
    4x4 Courier V6 XLT Crew Cab Pick-up (automatic)
    with dual airbags and ABS $43,190

Optional equipment
    Metallic Paint $ 215
    Dual Airbags and ABS $ 2,400

* Pricing excludes dealer delivery and statutory charges
    I am the Stig

This is a good idea, I didn't realise Courier has never had a 6 cylinder.Do you think a Rodeo could get an alloy-tec?

Possibly, theres the option to make 2.8L, 3.2L and 3.6L versions of the engine and the Rodeo currently has a 3.2L DOHC engine. The question would be how much technology would they justify giving the engine? The Courier's got the 5 speed auto and 2 stage induction
    I am the Stig

I guess buyers in the ute range don't exactly look for the latest technology, just something thats reliable, relatively comfortable, and can take anything they put it against. Oh and being able to haul tools.

Some people are like that, still the majority i guess, but there are some people who'd buy a ute like a normal car like a certain country across the Pacific.
    I am the Stig

I dont think the rodeo needs a new donk yet, the one it's got aint a slow arse it's very quick to be honest, One past me in a hurry
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

The c/c models with the V6 were actually faster than stock Commodores when they still had the Ecotec, i dont know how the Alloytec would go. Im not sure when the next Rodeo's due, they released a new one not more than a year ago afterall, and i think now theyve got the 3.5L V6 so i dare say it'll live out the model
    I am the Stig

Maybe holden might do a aoption only like the cd vectra option with V6.
    Herd a VZ ute 175 come screaming up and trust me it was really going it stoped next to me i was like wtf??? Is that a Gen3 with the quitest exhaust i have ever herd??? That's what it sounded like the Gen3 taking off that little induction sound it has.

Isnt the rodeo's donk the same as the Vectra??
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

It might be similar, the Rodeo though is Japanese sourced unlike the German Vectra so i dunno how that'd affect things. They should stick an Alloytec in them both for once they get here
    I am the Stig

Thread Information