Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Climate costs Australia full power Golf R

Climate costs Australia full power Golf R

Amid the snow covered European launch of the Volkswagen Golf R, it emerged that Australia's hot climate has cost local drivers the chance to sample the new high performance hatch in all its glory. Volkswagen Australia has confirmed that Australian-bound versions of the Golf R will be detuned to cope with the local climate.

While the European-spec Golf R will produce 199kW and 350Nm, Australian customers will have to make do with only 188kW but still get the full complement of torque. The same fate befell the Audi S3, which shares the same turbocharged four-cylinder engine, but the four-ringed car only has 330Nm to play with.

Interestingly though, the Audi TT S which also shares the same 2.0-litre engine is available in Australia with 200kW and 350Nm.

"Australia has been designated as a 'hot country' and they have put some limitations on us," VW Australia General Manager of Press and PR, Karl Gehling, told the Carsales Network.

And the Golf R is not the only local model affected by headquarters' declaration that Australia is too hot to handle all Volkswagen has to offer. Gehling confirmed that the hot Aussie climate is the reason behind the company's decision not to import the fuel-efficient BlueMotion models.

The super-efficient BlueMotion technology is available on a range of VW models but none of them have been approved for Australia's climate. But that doesn't mean VW Australia is going to stop trying to get the BlueMotion models into local showrooms.

"We're exploring it and it's something we'll continue to explore," Gehling said. "It's a very important technology and we'd love to have it here."

I know it's not really a significant power loss but that's not the point. By the time you get it on road the Golf R will probably cost at least $60 000 in Australia and that's a lot of money for a watered down version of what you really want.

I'm sure an enterprising chippist around here will unlock more oomph if required.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

why bother, the all important torque remains the same....the small amount of horses that you are losing is irrelevant.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

So what other "hot" climates are missing out on power as well? Does the US get the full spec version or the detuned ones like us?
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    So what other "hot" climates are missing out on power as well? Does the US get the full spec version or the detuned ones like us?
    Does the US get the R at all?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I think Canada does, but not sure about US...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Since i was a kid, I have always witnessed volkswagons catch fire and burst into flames when they get too hot. I am not surprised by their detuning of the Golf R.

Quote Originally Posted by G35COUPE View Post
    Since i was a kid, I have always witnessed volkswagons catch fire and burst into flames when they get too hot. I am not surprised by their detuning of the Golf R.
    they were called hot hatches for a reason.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    How are we anywhere near as hot as you guys? Parts of the US get feet of snow every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Does the US get the R at all?
    That would be no.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    How are we anywhere near as hot as you guys? Parts of the US get feet of snow every year.
    Our southern parts would be about as warm as your southern parts though.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    That's true, your cool parts get as warm as our hot parts (that sound dirty to anyone else?). It gets pretty warm in parts of spain in the summer, too, though. They get the R.

I think we both got cheated and should go invade.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    I think we both got cheated and should go invade.
    Here's where I make a joke about typical American policy.

I think Henk's right and it actually doesn't matter anyway. Or just fit a bigger intercooler, an oil cooler and chip it to beyond 'cold' spec anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    use PM's if you're going to flirt

Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    use PM's if you're going to flirt

I was wondering who was going to go there... shoulda known really.

Thread Information