Dear Ultimatecarpage.com visitor,

BMW's research and development department have mastered the art of finding answers to questions nobody had previously thought of asking. Whether these questions were not asked before for a good reason is up for debate. One of BMW's earlier answers was the X6, which combined elements of the 6-series coupe and the X5 SUV. Now BMW have created another niche market with the 5-Series Gran Turismo, which was previously shown in Concept form. The car holds the middle between a regular 5-Series and a hatchback. It features a longer wheelbase than the standard 5-Series and has a massive boot with a lid that hinges at the roof.
The new BMW will come with a choice of three engines, including a new twin-turbo straight six (535i), an earth thumping common-rail diesel (530d) and the latest twin-turbo V8, which powers the top of the line 550i model. The highly efficient eight cylinder engine produces a hefty 407 bhp, yet is more frugal than its predecessors thanks to its direct fuel injection. The engines are mated to an automatic that, for good measure, has eight forward speeds. The 550i Gran Turismo will hit the markets this fall.
We can only wonder what will come out of the Munich R&D department next. A thoroughly conventional but efficient sports car would be an answer to a question many people do ask.

2009 BMW 550i Gran Turismo - Images, Specifications and Information

Regards,
Wouter Melissen