Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BMW creates yet another new niche market with the 5-series Gran Turismo ...

BMW creates yet another new niche market with the 5-series Gran Turismo ...

Dear Ultimatecarpage.com visitor,

BMW's research and development department have mastered the art of finding answers to questions nobody had previously thought of asking. Whether these questions were not asked before for a good reason is up for debate. One of BMW's earlier answers was the X6, which combined elements of the 6-series coupe and the X5 SUV. Now BMW have created another niche market with the 5-Series Gran Turismo, which was previously shown in Concept form. The car holds the middle between a regular 5-Series and a hatchback. It features a longer wheelbase than the standard 5-Series and has a massive boot with a lid that hinges at the roof.
    The new BMW will come with a choice of three engines, including a new twin-turbo straight six (535i), an earth thumping common-rail diesel (530d) and the latest twin-turbo V8, which powers the top of the line 550i model. The highly efficient eight cylinder engine produces a hefty 407 bhp, yet is more frugal than its predecessors thanks to its direct fuel injection. The engines are mated to an automatic that, for good measure, has eight forward speeds. The 550i Gran Turismo will hit the markets this fall.
    We can only wonder what will come out of the Munich R&D department next. A thoroughly conventional but efficient sports car would be an answer to a question many people do ask.

2009 BMW 550i Gran Turismo - Images, Specifications and Information

Regards,
    Wouter Melissen
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

NO.
    I said NO.
    It's enormous, it's heavy, it's desperately ugly.
    Please welcome the sedan version of the Ssangyong Rodius.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I think BMW's R&D has been having a little trouble asking "why not?" too often, and "why", too little.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    NO.
    I said NO.
    It's enormous, it's heavy, it's desperately ugly.
    Please welcome the sedan version of the Ssangyong Rodius.
    i thought i was the only one that would say so ugly

what wrong with BMW guys

They probably use X5 / X6 underpinnings for this one, so it makes some sense financially, since they will get the money from the SUV's and just slash costs by producing more units.

It's like a 5 door hatch in limo dimensions. Open did this with the Signum, which failed to raise the interest they were hoping, although it was a lot smaller than the BMW.

Ugly car, but practical.

Hope they won't make an M out of this one....
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

I'm coming out.

I like it.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight View Post
    They probably use X5 / X6 underpinnings for this one, so it makes some sense financially, since they will get the money from the SUV's and just slash costs by producing more units.

It's like a 5 door hatch in limo dimensions. Open did this with the Signum, which failed to raise the interest they were hoping, although it was a lot smaller than the BMW.

Ugly car, but practical.

Hope they won't make an M out of this one....
    irrc the X5/6 underpinnings come from the previous gen 5 Series (the E60).

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I'm coming out.

I like it.
    Oh Albert...
    Look at the side view, it's huge! This isn't a Gran Turismo. It's an inflated sedan with a big butt.
    I think even the Panamera looks better and makes more sense.
    I actually don't see why to introduce this, who was asking for a roomier 5 sedan or a smallish 5 estate.

Oh Albert...
    Look at the side view, it's huge! This isn't a Gran Turismo. It's an inflated sedan with a big butt.
    I think even the Panamera looks better and makes more sense.
    I actually don't see why to introduce this, who was asking for a roomier 5 sedan or a smallish 5 estate.
    Well you like the R-Class, which is a bit like it.

I'm not saying it's perfect, it isn't. But I find the concept of a spacious grand tourer with decent performance very appealing.
    Visca Catalunya!

irrc the X5/6 underpinnings come from the previous gen 5 Series (the E60).
    Great! It's cheaper, too... Even less development costs!! A bargain..
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Well you like the R-Class, which is a bit like it.

I'm not saying it's perfect, it isn't. But I find the concept of a spacious grand tourer with decent performance very appealing.
    ...ok, I like the R-Klasse, that's true.
    the point is, I don't see the grand tourer here. But even a Cayenne Turbo S has decent performance right?

let's even say the idea is good.
    I'd prefer a Quattroporte estate (the Bellagio was actually quite good looking, and weights 40 kg less). Or something properly spacious, perhaps not an R-Klasse, but a standard minivan as was the Phedra.
    now let's say the idea is good even in this shape.
    The car is quite bad looking though. Apart from the X6-ish look, the rear isn't really sporty, and the front is far from the glamor of the CS concept (which I never completely liked, the front fascia I mean).

I see it as just an enlarged sedan. Once they did it, they though the boot wasn't as big as the dimensions were suggesting, so they went for the weird rear end. If it's suppose to be a gran tourer, it should weight a bit less. Even the Quattroporte which isn't particularly refined in this compartment weight 100 kg less.

It's surely more comfortable than a 5 sedan, but it's definitely less proportioned, without considering the specific details.

I'm coming out.

I like it.
    So you hate the X6, but you like its only slightly smaller cousin?

You make no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    So you hate the X6, but you like its only slightly smaller cousin?

You make no sense.
    I hate the X6 because you carry around off-road hardware without actually being able to use it.

This has no off-roading pretentions at all.
    Visca Catalunya!

...ok, I like the R-Klasse, that's true.
    the point is, I don't see the grand tourer here. But even a Cayenne Turbo S has decent performance right?

let's even say the idea is good.
    I'd prefer a Quattroporte estate (the Bellagio was actually quite good looking, and weights 40 kg less). Or something properly spacious, perhaps not an R-Klasse, but a standard minivan as was the Phedra.
    now let's say the idea is good even in this shape.
    The car is quite bad looking though. Apart from the X6-ish look, the rear isn't really sporty, and the front is far from the glamor of the CS concept (which I never completely liked, the front fascia I mean).

I see it as just an enlarged sedan. Once they did it, they though the boot wasn't as big as the dimensions were suggesting, so they went for the weird rear end. If it's suppose to be a gran tourer, it should weight a bit less. Even the Quattroporte which isn't particularly refined in this compartment weight 100 kg less.

It's surely more comfortable than a 5 sedan, but it's definitely less proportioned, without considering the specific details.
    The problem with SUVs is their high centre of gravity (higher than this) and carrying all the excess weight of the off-road hardware (which this doesn't have).

The problem with normal full size MPVs is that none has a well honed rear drive chasis and a sublime twin turbo six, except perhaps the R-Class.

The problem with the Quattroporte is that it's less spacious for passengers than this, even the Bellagio estate version.

I agree thought that the 5er GT has its problems. It's not exactly the best looking car in the world. The boot/hatch complexity adds unnecessary weight. And it's probably a tad too big and heavy. But as a concept I rather like it.
    Visca Catalunya!

The problem with SUVs is their high centre of gravity (higher than this) and carrying all the excess weight of the off-road hardware (which this doesn't have).

The problem with normal full size MPVs is that none has a well honed rear drive chasis and a sublime twin turbo six, except perhaps the R-Class.

The problem with the Quattroporte is that it's less spacious for passengers than this, even the Bellagio estate version.

I agree thought that the 5er GT has its problems. It's not exactly the best looking car in the world. The boot/hatch complexity adds unnecessary weight. And it's probably a tad too big and heavy. But as a concept I rather like it.
    that's it, now I recognize you

EDIT: considering the internal dispositions of seats and other stuff and the structure, I wonder how taller the CG of an R-Klasse is compared to this one's.
    Obviously considering the 2wd R, as the 4wd both lowet the CG but it's also a bit pointless, if you don't live in a perennial snow storm.

Thread Information