Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen Golf (VI-5K) 2008–2012

Quote Originally Posted by JRodrigues View Post
    In Europe it's still one of the most selling cars, if not the best seller.. Audi did the same with B6 and B7 A4's. Porsche has done it with the 996 and 997. Ferrari did it with the 360 and 430...
    I think it was last month that the Golf was again the best seller in Europe. In any case, as you say a very strong seller.

By the way, the old A4 is getting a new lease of life in the form of the Seat Exeo.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by JRodrigues View Post
    In Europe it's still one of the most selling cars, if not the best seller.. Audi did the same with B6 and B7 A4's. Porsche has done it with the 996 and 997. Ferrari did it with the 360 and 430...
    comparing Porsche to Ferrari, and both of them to VW or Audi, makes some senses, but for cars like the 360/430, a brand new platform every 5 years would be a little too much expensive.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    comparing Porsche to Ferrari, and both of them to VW or Audi, makes some senses, but for cars like the 360/430, a brand new platform every 5 years would be a little too much expensive.
    I'm sure that the profit margin on a car like a 430 is much higher than on a Golf. Then again the volume of the Volkswagen is much greater.

However the current platform is perfectly capable so there wasn't much of a need to change it.
    Visca Catalunya!

Volkswagen Golf GTD (Mk6)

Key Aspects: The New Golf GTD – World Premiere in Leipzig

5.3 liter fuel economy and 222 km/h redefine the idea of sportiness

New Golf GTD with 170-PS TDI: Advance sales begin early May

GTD and new GTI are conceptual soulmates

Wolfsburg / Leipzig, 27 March 2009 - After the Polo, the BlueMotion offensive and the Golf GTI, Volkswagen is pulling the next arrow out of its quiver: this time it is the Golf GTD. It is extremely fuel efficient yet exceedingly sporty, and it is debuting as a world premiere at the Auto Mobil International in Leipzig (March 28 to April 05). The GTD code letters carry on a tradition: the first Golf GTD appeared back in 1982 – it was the GTI among diesels. Now Volkswagen has perfected the various aspects of sportiness. The new Golf GTD with its 125 kW / 170 PS is aimed at all diesel fans who value a maximum in dynamic performance. This is where the GTD shows a clear affinity to the new GTI (155 kW / 210 PS). While the GTI is in its own league with an efficient turbo gasoline engine that offers the same performance as far more expensive sports cars, the Golf GTD is making its appearance with phenomenal fuel economy. Every 100 kilometers, just 5.3 liters of fuel flow through the piezo injection valves of the common rail engine that can hardly be pegged as a diesel. That is equivalent to CO2 emissions of just 139 g/km. This contrasts with a top speed of 222 km/h and 8.1 seconds for the sprint to 100 km/h.

Range of about 1,000 kilometer

As on the GTI, the GTD's 6-speed manual transmission may be swapped out for an optional 6-speed DSG – which in the eyes of many experts is the most efficient automatic of our times. The Golf GTD with DSG reaches a top speed of 220 km/h; it accelerates to 100 km/h in 8.1 seconds and consumes 5.6 liters diesel on average (147 g/km CO2). These low fuel consumption values take both GTD variants to distances of about 1,000 kilometers on one tank of fuel (55 liters).

The GTD equipped with standard sport chassis and 17-inch alloy wheels ("Seattle" type) bears a close relationship to the GTI, in its highly agile handling properties as well as in its parallels in appearance and features.

GTD exterior

The exterior clearly indicates that this is the sportiest Golf with a diesel engine. Take the front end, for example: the bumper, radiator grille and headlights are a 1:1 match with the GTI. However, the red horizontal stripes in the radiator grille are styled in chrome on the GTD. At the rear, the turbo-diesel sports a modified diffuser. Even though no GTD emblem comes with the car purchase, the diesel version of the Golf can be recognized by its dual chrome tailpipes on the left side of the diffuser (the GTI has one tailpipe on the left and one on the right).

GTD sound

Sound – sporty sound – has not traditionally been a particular strength of diesel engines. However, the GTD's new common rail engine is different. Since it no longer has a superimposed "hammering" sound that was previously typical of diesels, engineers were able to fine tune its acoustics for the first time. This is accomplished by a special sound generator, which outputs a sonorous tone, especially in the lower engine speed range. The electromagnetic sound generator evaluates engine speed, momentary power demand and vehicle speed data obtained via the car's CAN bus and tunes the engine sound that can be heard in the interior.

GTD interior

Volkswagen's GT philosophy is also reflected in the interior. It expresses itself in standard high-end sport seats, a 3-spoke leather steering wheel whose curvature flattens at the bottom (GTD signature in the center chrome badge), leather parking brake lever and leather gearshift boot with stitching in contrasting color. However, unlike in the GTI the color is not red but light gray. The same applies to the sport seats in "Jacky" pattern: The color chosen for the flat-felled seams are an elegant light gray ("Art Grey") instead of red ("Flash Red"). The seats themselves are styled in a "Black-White" color combination.

GTD safety and convenience

Other standard features of the Golf GTD include details such as a black roofliner and black roof pillar trim, special interior accents, seven airbags including knee airbag on the driver's side, automatic climate control ("Climatronic"), front fog lights with chrome framing, daytime running lights, ESP, a winter package (with heated windshield washer nozzles, heated front seats, headlight cleaning system and low washer fluid indicator light) and the RCD 210 radio system. Nonetheless, the most important component of standard GTD equipment is still the Common Rail TDI with 170 PS being used in the Golf for the first time.

TDI technology in detail

The 1,968 cm3 displacement engine is from a new TDI generation. It delivers its maximum power at 4,200 rpm. The engine – as sporty as it is fuel efficient – develops its 350 Newton-meter maximum torque between 1,750 and 2,500 rpm. Its specific torque is 177.8 Newton-meter per liter engine displacement. The upshot is that in practically any driving situation, the sixteen-valve four-cylinder engine offers power equivalent to that of a six-cylinder sports car engine.

About the technology: Fuel induction is handled by a common rail system. Fuel injection pressures of up to 1,800 bar and special eight-hole injection nozzles achieve exceptionally fine atomization of the diesel fuel. The eight-hole injection nozzles are driven by what are known as piezo in-line injectors. In this process, electrically controlled piezo crystals – boosted by hydraulics – initiate injection in fractions of a second. Compared to conventional solenoid valves, piezo technology enables more flexible injection processes with smaller and more precisely metered quantities of fuel. The results are a very quiet and pleasantly soft running engine, exceptionally quick response and the excellent fuel economy and emissions values already mentioned.

Another feature having a positive effect on the car's acoustics is the maintenance-free toothed timing belt for the camshaft. The conversion to common rail technology and many other acoustic measures, such as a noise-damping film in the windshield, make the new Golf GTD one of the quietest diesel models in its class. In addition, the GTD will fulfill limits of the Euro-5 emissions standard. Advance sales of the Golf GTD in Germany will already begin in early May. And the prospects for a successful market launch look good. Because this sporty Volkswagen fits in perfectly with our times.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Visca Catalunya!

I guess that's Pieter's favourite hot hatch.
    Visca Catalunya!

....Sound generator? Not cool.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    That sound generator thing had better be a joke because that's the biggest poser thing I've ever heard.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

So it's basically equivalent to a BMW 120d M-Sport...except not as good.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
    That sound generator thing had better be a joke because that's the biggest poser thing I've ever heard.
    Mk V's have sound them I believe, and you do notice a bit of a difference in noise levels in different situations.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

The front is gorgeous, but I still believe the MKV has a better ass... and I also still believe that the MKIV looks better than both of them

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx View Post
    The front is gorgeous, but I still believe the MKV has a better ass... and I also still believe that the MKIV looks better than both of them
    ...and the Mk.I better than that.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx View Post
    seen in real life, parked side by side, Joe Average would think he needs new glasses 'cause he sees double.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Volkswagen Golf VI Variant

The New Golf Estate - Initial Facts
    Advance sales of the new compact class estate car begin on Friday
    New Golf Estate launches at prices starting at € 18,500, including climate control and daytime running lights*

Technology and features on par with sixth Golf generation

Front end of Golf Estate now follows new Volkswagen "Design DNA"

Wolfsburg, 21 May 2009 - Volkswagen will begin accepting advance orders for the new Golf Estate this Friday. In the sixth generation of the world bestseller, after the 2-door and 4-door Golfs and the latest Golf Plus, this is the fourth body version to be launched. The estate is one of the most successful models on the market, particularly in the company car market. The extensive redesign of this Estate should ensure that the all-around talent further extends its position as a business estate car and as a first car for families as well. The base price of the new Golf Estate in Germany, including ESP, six airbags, daytime running lights, roof railing, power windows all around, upshift indicator, power and heated outside mirrors, 1/3 to 2/3 split folding rear bench seat and seatback, central locking with RF remote control, climate control and 1,495 litres of cargo capacity is € 18,500.

The front end of the Golf Estate was completely redesigned. Its visual appearance follows today's Volkswagen "Design DNA". From now its appearance is defined by clear horizontal lines and bold headlight styling. The car's engine lineup was adopted directly from the Golf 2-door and 4-door models. In the interior, the high-end instruments of the current Golf set the tone. In Europe, first units of the new Golf will be delivered in September.

Features and engines

At its market launch – in parallel to advance sales that are now starting – the successful Estate (more than 95,000 new vehicle registrations in 2008) will be offered in the three equipment versions Trendline, Comfortline and Highline. The latter replaces the previous Sportline version as the top equipment line. Engines available for selection when advance sales begin are a TSI (boosted gasoline direct-injection engine) with 90 kW / 122 PS and two very quiet common rail turbo-diesels (77 kW / 105 PS and 103 kW / 140 PS). Other engines will follow in stages: two Multipoint engines (59 kW / 80 PS and 75 kW / 102 PS) and another TSI gasoline engine (118 kW / 160 PS). All six engines fulfil the new Euro-5 emissions standard.

Exterior details of the new Golf Estate

In front, the new Golf Estate can be recognized by its new bumper, radiator grille and engine hood styling and its modified fenders and headlights, which were all adapted 1:1 from the estate's 2-door and 4-door counterparts. In contrast to the previous model, the front-end design is no longer defined by a chrome radiator grille, rather by a black, horizontally layout of the grille and front bumper painted in car colour. In the lower area, the Estate has an additional large air inlet too. Starting with the mid-level equipment version (Comfortline), chrome inserts are integrated in the radiator grille and the lower air inlet. In the top Highline version, this also applies to the frames for the front fog lights with new static turning light function that are a standard feature here.

At the rear, the independent design of the previous model has been upgraded in the new generation by modified, more elegant taillights and bumpers fully painted in car colour in the lower area. From now on, TDI and TSI versions can also be recognized by their tailpipes, which are no longer covered by the bumper. In addition, Volkswagen developed a new wheel lineup for the new Golf Estate.

Interior details of the new Golf Estate

At the time of its presentation last fall, the sixth generation Golf received excellent marks, especially for its high-end quality. In the interior, it was especially in the styling of the gauges that the Golf crossed boundaries to the next higher class and still does. The same gauges and instruments, including a standard multifunctional display and upshift indicator, are now being used in the new Golf Estate too. Also adopted from the Golf was the new generation of three-spoke steering wheels, which celebrated their debut in the Passat CC in 2008.

In this context, controls for the new Golf climate control system were integrated in the Golf Estate as well. Volkswagen also adapted its line of different seat covers (Trendline: "Roxy"; Comfortline: "Scout"; Highline: Alcantara/fabric "Merlin") to the entire model series. The same applies to features ranging from the radio and navigation systems up to the interfaces for MP3 players and Bluetooth mobile telephones. Two driver assistance systems are also available as options for the first time in the Golf Estate: "ParkAssist" (automatic parking assistant) and "Rear Assist" (rearview camera). Another feature being offered is the panorama sunroof that is popular among many Golf Estate buyers.

Euro-5 engines of the new Golf Estate in detail

Volkswagen is launching the new Golf Estate on the market with four gasoline and two diesel engine options; they all meet the limits of the new Euro-5 standard. The entry level continues to be marked by an 80-PS gasoline engine, followed by a 102-PS version. The two most powerful gasoline engines (TSI with 122 PS and 160 PS) and the two turbo-diesels (TDI with 105 PS and 140 PS) may be ordered with an optional automatic DSG dual clutch transmission.

Entirely new to the Golf Estate's engine lineup is the 105 PS common rail TDI. Like the larger 2.0-liter TDI, the 1.6-liter four cylinder is also characterized by noticeably comfortable noise levels, low emissions (119 g/km CO2) and an extremely low average fuel consumption (4.5 litres per hundred kilometres). Compared to the previous model of the same power, fuel consumption was reduced by 0.7 litre.

The 2.0 TDI was adopted from the previous generation of the Golf Estate; it also has a highly advanced common rail direct injection system. The 140 PS strong and 210 km/h fast Golf Estate 2.0 TDI consumes 5.0 litre (132 g/km CO2), which is impressively low considering its power. The TDI engines may be ordered together with any of the three equipment versions.

As already noted, the gasoline engines of the Golf Estate have power levels of 80 PS (MPI), 102 PS (MPI), 122 PS (TSI) and 160 PS (TSI). The base engine with 80 PS is available with the Trendline equipment line; the 102-PS version may be ordered as a Golf Estate Trendline or Golf Estate Comfortline. The TSI engines can each be ordered together with the Comfortline or Highline equipment versions.

Just how efficiently the current gasoline engines from Volkswagen perform is well-illustrated by the TSI. Its 6.3 litre (122 PS) and 6.4 litre (160 PS) fuel consumption values place their average fuel consumption on par with the already economical base engine with 80 PS. When shifted by a DSG transmission, fuel consumption is even reduced to 6.0 litres per 100 kilometres (139 g/km CO2) on the 122-PS TSI and 6.1 litres (143 g/km CO2) on the 160-PS version. With this engine lineup, the new Golf Estate is one of the most economical and cleanest estate cars in Europe.

* = Prices and features apply to models offered in Germany

Note: All data and equipment contained in this press release apply to models offered in Germany. They may differ in other countries. All information is subject to change or correction. TDI, TSI, DSG and Twincharger are registered trademarks of Volkswagen AG or other companies of the Volkswagen Group in Germany and other countries.
    Visca Catalunya!

Volkswagen Golf Variant #2
    Visca Catalunya!

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Its a new niche market!
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Thread Information