Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UCP: I need your help

UCP: I need your help

Hello again everyone, i cant apologize enough for my ghosting, i cant seem to snap out of it and the forums are as alive as ever. In any case i need help and theres no better place to turn than UCP.

Im writing a paper on "Why all young drivers should be given sports cars." If you dont think so then humor me because its a paper and my next one is arguing against that point. In anycase id like everyone here whos abit more technical with examples or ideas as to why, anything about like the extra safety in sports cars and such, backed with some sort of cite-able study or company press realease. Please keep the off topic banter to a minimum, at least for awhile till we get this thing off the ground. thanks everyone for your help

-CT
    Don't bother me, I'm probably working while posting...

UCP's biggest...oh man...i got nothin'

why are you writing a paper on such a trivial issue
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

for my english comp class, making an argument and doing both sides and such. I figure its a fairly bold statement and very easy to argue either side.

You mean driving on public roads? Or on the controlled environment of a race track?
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

I don't know but off the top of my head sportscars have better active safety. Better handling, brakes and so on. That would make them safer and less prone to have an accident if driven in the same way as a normal car. Some sportscars, like the Lotus Elise, can have relative low maintenance and running costs too.

I can't cite any report or press release though.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

driving on public roads, like as their day to day cars.

as far as accident avoidance; i have that. the low running cost is a very nice thought tho, thanks ferrer

Powerful cars are safer than the norm in the hands of a disciplined and skilled driver. You can accelerate away from trouble, overtake easily and swiftly and have much more confidence braking and cornering.

However, in the hands of your average 'young' un-experienced driver the extra power and ability can be very dangerous.

Giving a young driver a moderately powered rear wheel drive vehicle is good in my opinion. They can learn the dynamics of a true sports car with power matched to their experience. Even if they were to buy a front wheel drive car next, their car control would have been improved.

Quote Originally Posted by TheScrutineer View Post
    Giving a young driver a moderately powered rear wheel drive vehicle is good in my opinion. They can learn the dynamics of a true sports car with power matched to their experience. Even if they were to buy a front wheel drive car next, their car control would have been improved.
    I think we have to first determine what makes a car a "sportscar". At least for the purpose of writing a paper for the uninformed, good definitions are paramount. I take it from the above that "sportscar" and FWD combined in one car are a no-go. I think this needs to be established, supported with evidence, etc etc. (putting myself in the position of somebody who has to judge the quality of a paper).
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

oh no, id consider some fwd cars sports cars acutally, i guess determening a sports car in this case is a car purpose built with going faster than its average counterpart/typical "good starter car" in mind. Ill establish that in the paper but good point henk.

A properly developed and tuned fwd car counts

I hope these two articles help in forming your views about this topic.

Strict rules from parents lead to safer-driving teens - USATODAY.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/08/wo...t/08drift.html

but you must first define what a race car really means, and then start your argument with the general population of cars and then move into race cars.

So, in essence the two points I have are that, giving all young drivers a sportscar should be dependent on the parental involvement in their lives.

The second point is that two theories called "Goal Setting Theory" and "Self-Efficacy Theory", when combined, suggest that people prefer challenging tasks, and they will perform such tasks if they beleive they can actually perform it. Young drivers love the challenge of doing something challenging and each one of them beleives that they can drive a sports car well. Check WIKI for more on these theories and then decide for yourself how young drivers see themselves and why they do what they do.

I hope this is helpful.
    Last edited by G35COUPE; 09-27-2009 at 05:54 PM.

It is helpful thankyou, my views are fairly set. This is more of a propaganda paper for the sake of an A. (worthy cause i hope youll agree) so i cant weight back and forth i have to present a one sided argument. And i greatly apprecaite the links G35, not to mention your name lol

Quote Originally Posted by CHEESE-TACULAR View Post
    It is helpful thankyou, my views are fairly set. This is more of a propaganda paper for the sake of an A. (worthy cause i hope youll agree) so i cant weight back and forth i have to present a one sided argument. And i greatly apprecaite the links G35, not to mention your name lol

You are welcome. We are glad to be of assistance to you.

Quote Originally Posted by CHEESE-TACULAR View Post
    oh no, id consider some fwd cars sports cars acutally, i guess determening a sports car in this case is a car purpose built with going faster than its average counterpart/typical "good starter car" in mind. Ill establish that in the paper but good point henk.

A properly developed and tuned fwd car counts
    So is a hot hatch a sportscar?

Or for isntance, a BMW has excellent driving characteristics over, say a Renault. Would that count as a sportscar as well?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Id say a hot hatch would have to count but not any bmw, its not so much a car with superior driving characteristics as it is one that was developed with going faster and being low slung as its primary design objectives

pro; sportscars in general have less safety nets (well, the good ones anyway) and if the bet way to learn to drive as a youngster is without any aids at all; if they crash, so be it, you'll bet they will be more cautious the next time.

cons: whilst you can crash at any car at say 100mph, it does take you a lot less time to get there in a sportscar, hence you could concievably hit that speed more often in a spotscar were you that way inclined.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thread Information