Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mitsubishi plant to close at the end March

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden View Post
    We are pretty lucky we get good econemy, Last 2 weeks 445km in 59 litre i think that great for local driving conditions at it's age, But i try and keep it in great working order as much as i can still.
    Most people dont look after 92-93 model commadores as well as you do though.
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

My fav of the AU series was the T-Series like almost everyone lol..
    But past that i was never really into the shape of the car.. Brothers pork was always getting around in a AUIII Classic.. From day 1 it has issues still only has 60,000km on it, More in Steering shudder, And they tried to tell them it was the tyres wearing in.. But anyway it still does it lol.. It's got good options for the price, My brother was going to buy it from her parents and changed his mind and held onto the EF somemore then got the BA, He says he should have keeped the EF and F6 it.
    Now because of the V6 coming he said he would be able to get a new engine from Ford cheap as.
    Car issue and no help from the delaership sound perfectly normal vts had similar problem and it was a dodgy screw in the stearing column that eventually broke and was a recall item. Got as serious as loosing controlly of your VT-VX though

Hell get jackall from ford for a good price same goes with holden for that matter....slightly used with warrenty is the best option.
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon500 View Post
    Most people dont look after 92-93 model commadores as well as you do though.
    True most people dont even look after cars period..

I had to after the VB we let it go did almost nothing to that car over 10 years and the bloody thing was solid as a rock, But time caught up body wise rust..
    $30 didn't get us far on fuel.

But i have the car bug since getting the VP
    Car issue and no help from the delaership sound perfectly normal vts had similar problem and it was a dodgy screw in the stearing column that eventually broke and was a recall item. Got as serious as loosing controlly of your VT-VX though

Hell get jackall from ford for a good price same goes with holden for that matter....slightly used with warrenty is the best option.
    My adopted Auntie, Her son bought a XR8 ute last year, He has gone into Bussniess with his mate building houses, The tow bar snapped on him and OMG he was so lucky it opened the ute like a can opener.. They wont a new ute not a repaired one but they wont do that, It's ****ed..

Happen to my brother and his mates in a VP Calais a few years back, The car was a right off.

I'm going to have to get some pics off them hope they snapped some.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

geeze thatd be scary! Im going to be moving the datsun to its new home at a workshop until finished next weekend via the fairlane and a trailer, hopefully nothing like that happens
    The Datto will rage again...

My adopted Auntie, Her son bought a XR8 ute last year, He has gone into Bussniess with his mate building houses, The tow bar snapped on him and OMG he was so lucky it opened the ute like a can opener.. They wont a new ute not a repaired one but they wont do that, It's ****ed..

Happen to my brother and his mates in a VP Calais a few years back, The car was a right off.

I'm going to have to get some pics off them hope they snapped some.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra View Post
    geeze thatd be scary! Im going to be moving the datsun to its new home at a workshop until finished next weekend via the fairlane and a trailer, hopefully nothing like that happens
    Now you've made him paranoid! :lol:
    Are you a fan of V8 Supercars? Then you should join V8 SuperChat! - www.v8superchat.co.nr

Are you a fan of the FG Falcon? Then the FG Falcon Forum is for you! - www.fgfalconforum.co.nr

Ive heard stories but never had any direct experiance with that happening

Earlier holdens had a problem with "streatching" if you where heavy on the accelerator (but realistically any car without a chassis will do the same if treated like that) But that slick doesnt sound like a towbar failure it sounds more like a chassis failure!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra View Post
    Don't fear these cars were towing 2000kg+..
    MY Old VP was towing this same very load that the VP Calais crashed with
    Quote Originally Posted by fordman6 View Post
    Now you've made him paranoid! :lol:
    Bluey's Paranoid getting into a Mini, I don't know why he fits with the front seat out.
    Ive heard stories but never had any direct experiance with that happening

Earlier holdens had a problem with "streatching" if you where heavy on the accelerator (but realistically any car without a chassis will do the same if treated like that) But that slick doesnt sound like a towbar failure it sounds more like a chassis failure!
    Apparently it snapped somewhere underneath, And then the trailer just came steaming through, First thing i said to my mother was did they get the heavy duty package?.
    I think he was only towing his boat?.. But I'll have to make some inquires and beg for pics.

The VP has little signs of bending at the rear doors but it did tow some weight with the old owner.

sad time i guess with Mitsi closing but it was always going to happen, lucky its happened when the mining boom is about to kick in, lots of jobs around at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyp747 View Post
    sad time i guess with Mitsi closing but it was always going to happen, lucky its happened when the mining boom is about to kick in, lots of jobs around at the moment.
    true, we need to focus on fields we're competitive in

Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    Answer. Build a new one. (The 380).

As Blue said it was a fairly new design from the ground up. They would have been better off building a small – mid 4 cylinder but Mitsubishi already has those.

It was doomed.
    I was under the impression what screwed over Mitsubishi Aus was that when they built the 380 they were under the impression that Mitsu US would source the 380 as their new Diamante or whatever, but pulled out of the agreement at the last moment.

That would probably rank as worse than Ford Oz thinking until 2001 they would still have the 302 in the BA Falcon.

The US had production of the Galant maybe a year or more before we started building the 380, so you'd imagine the development and planned production shouldve been set out quite a few years before that as well. I always thought MMAL were counting on the 2nd model line to stay in the country, and when Chrysler bailed so did those plans as they couldnt divert the extra funding.
    I am the Stig

Should have just imported the Gallant save the hassle, Australianise it slightly without wasting a mint on the thing, Might have even been cheaper to buy?..
    Some different wheels headlights taillights etc, Play with the suspension tune but don't go overboard like they did.
    Maybe keep the Magna name less confusion??

Thread Information