Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford withdraws Jaguar from F1

Ford withdraws Jaguar from F1

http://www.formula1.com/news/2225.html

Jaguar to leave Formula One racing

Jaguar owners Ford have announced plans to withdraw from Formula One racing at the end of the 2004 season. The Jaguar Racing team, along with engine manufacturers Cosworth, have been put up for sale by the American car giant.

"Jaguar's presence in Formula One has been a valuable marketing and brand awareness platform particularly outside our main markets of the US and the UK,” said Joe Greenwell, chairman of Jaguar Cars. “However it was our collective view that it is time for Jaguar Cars to focus 100% on our core business.

“After a thorough review over many months Ford Motor Company has decided it can no longer make a compelling business case for any of its brands to compete in Formula One.

“Having reached this decision our focus has turned to securing the best future for our Formula One businesses and our employees in these businesses going forward. We are therefore putting our Formula One businesses up for sale.”

Jaguar came into the sport in 2000 after taking over the Stewart team. Since then they have seen only limited success and currently lie seventh in the 2004 constructors’ championship standings.

The sale of Cosworth could also have a major impact on the Minardi and Jordan teams, both of whom are powered by the company’s engines. Minardi recently announced a deal to continue use of their V10s for the 2005 season.
    I am the Stig

Sad news. There had been rumours that Ford was going to rebrand Jaguar Racing as Ford Racing. It was rumoured that Ford was planning to shelve it's WRC campaign in order to concentrate on Formula One.
    So, unless someone buys Jaguar, Formula One is down to nine teams and 18 cars. It has been suggested in some magazines that more teams may shut down after this year - Minardi and Jordan being obvious candidates. If a multi-national like Ford finds F1 too much trouble and too expensive, what chance the privateer teams?
    Following the recent harsh comments by FIAT President Luca di Montezemolo regarding the direction FIA is taking the sport, indecision over the rules for 2005, indecision over the new engine formula and the still forthcoming GPWC/F1 split in 2008, I feel that F1 is sailing very troubled waters.
    Sad in many ways. Hopefully some sort of sense and stability will prevail.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

well theres still the rumours of the dubai buy-out of jordan, so that could keep them going, but i'd say minardi like always it seems, are only just scraping it in. there were the rumours earlier that Jordan might switch to toyota engines. unless someone buys out Jaguar, 2 teams will have to run a 3rd car. This could be a good chance for someone like vitantonio luizzi or alex davison
    I am the Stig

I had forgotten that should the grid fall below 20 cars then other teams will have to run a third car. I'm not sure what the FIA rules are regarding which teams will have to run the third drivers. If it is the teams which finish first and second, then you're probably making a good call - Liuzzi at Ferrari and Davison at BAR (though he may still get the 2nd seat there anyway). Will be interesting to see what happens.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

well they currently say now that teams that finished outside the top 5 last year get a 3rd car for practise, perhaps it would only be fair if a top 5 team had to make the call. i not familiar with the rules anyhow, i'll have to dig up a bit of info. luizzi and davison only sprung into mind as theyre possibly the 2 most talked about talented drivers, without a race drive. with ford pulling the plug on jaguar and toyota lending out briscoe, theres 2 more possible drivers, but klien would more than likely stay with whoever buys jaguar, and briscoe could go to minardi
    I am the Stig

Thanks again, Ferrari, for destroying F1. Sounds a bit childish, I know, but you can't have this kind of dominance in any form of racing without wrecking it. McLaren did it to CanAm, Audi seems on the verge of doing it to endurance racing and now Ferrari is driving out everybody else.

You can't blame the best for the problems of the others, blackcat.

What are they supposed to do ?
    It's up to the others to aspire
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Maybe you could blame Bernie for causing the manufacturers to consider a mass walkout, which in turn drove the costs skyward
    I am the Stig

Auckland, New Zealand & Balikpapan, Indonesia
    wow... wot a sad news... how many teams have left since 1999??? quite a few i think... and all of them quit becoz of financial problems... i neva thought the jag team would hav this problem... i guess i was wrong... i hav a bad feeling dat F1 might be gone in probly the next few years becoz no one can afford to stay...
    "Rejection is better than regret. It's better to try and know you did your part, than to spend the rest of your days wishing you had tried"

Two teams have left since 1999 Prost and Arrows.

Compare 2004 and 1994 and there are quite a few teams gone.
    Benetton (became Renault)
    Footwork (Arrows by another name, folded 2002)
    Larrousse (folded 1995)
    Lotus (folded 1995)
    Ligier (became Prost 1997, then folded 2002)
    Simtek (folded mid 1994)
    Tyrrell (sort of became BAR 1997)
    Pacific (folded 1995)

And lets not forget Lola's pathetic attepmt at F1 in 1997.

Since 1995 there have been no more than 22 cars on the grid.
    Last edited by Coventrysucks; 09-18-2004 at 03:39 PM.
    Thanks for all the fish

Geez, from the sounds of it, F-1 is going down the tubes. I hope this isn't as bad as it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by r1ckst4
    wow... wot a sad news... how many teams have left since 1999??? quite a few i think... and all of them quit becoz of financial problems... i neva thought the jag team would hav this problem... i guess i was wrong... i hav a bad feeling dat F1 might be gone in probly the next few years becoz no one can afford to stay...

Its no real surprise that Jag were the first to leave of the current line up, theyve got twice as many problems as everyone else: skyrocketing costs and Ford trying to make profits again. The last couple of years, FoMoCo's been loosing money left right and centre whilst Ford Credit's been keeping them in the game, so they'll be focusing on making sure theyve got the right products in the market right now
    I am the Stig

I'd be so pissed if Ford entered F1. Wouldn't make much difference. Ferrari, Mercedes-McLaren, BMW, etc. would have the European advantage.

BTW, is Coulthard switching teams next year? Or is that a rumor?

He has to, Montoya's taking his spot alongside Raikkonen.

And Ford is LEAVING F1, they bought Stewart in 1999 remember?
    I am the Stig

Oh my bad. That means Micheal loses a teammate. Wonder who the new one will be.

FYI, I don't have the time or the channel to watch F1 so I haven't been able to see what's been happening.

Thread Information