Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW Hydrogen 7 Mono-Fuel

BMW Hydrogen 7 Mono-Fuel

BMW DEBUTS HYDROGEN-ONLY VERSION OF THE BMW HYDROGEN 7
    03/31/2008

Internal Combustion Engine Pushes the Boundaries of Detectable Emissions
    Woodcliff Lake, NJ - March 31, 2008... BMW announces its latest milestone in its pursuit of the hydrogen future, the BMW Hydrogen 7 mono-fuel. Based on the BMW Hydrogen 7 bi-fuel version (gasoline and hydrogen), the mono-fuel vehicle's internal combustion engine is optimized to run solely on hydrogen and shares the performance, comfort, and safety qualities of every production BMW 7 Series. The BMW Hydrogen 7 mono-fuel will be featured at both the 2008 National Hydrogen Association Conference in Sacramento, CA (Mar. 30 - Apr. 3) and the 2008 SAE World Congress in Detroit, MI (Apr. 14 - 17).

The BMW Hydrogen 7 mono-fuel is equipped with a V12 internal combustion engine (ICE) which has been engineered to run exclusively on hydrogen . Compared with the bi-fuel version, this vehicle achieves incredibly low emissions, increased engine performance, reduced consumption and greater range.

"The mono-fuel Hydrogen 7 is the of more than 25 years of hydrogen development by BMW," noted Tom Baloga, Vice-president of Engineering for BMW in the US. "It demonstrates BMW's support for a hydrogen infrastructure by producing an internal combustion engine that produces truly near-zero emissions and simultaneously cleans the air of certain pollutants."

In BMW's view, hydrogen is the most logical energy carrier of the future for three reasons. Firstly, it has no carbon and therefore emits no CO2, HC's and other pollutants. Secondly, it can be produced using renewable, clean technologies like solar, wind, geothermal, and bio-processes. Lastly, it can be produced in stable areas of the globe as necessary for energy security. Although today's hydrogen is mainly derived from natural gas, hydrogen can and will be "green" from renewable and clean sources in the future. Unlike batteries, which will likely also play an important role in future transportation, hydrogen vehicles can be refueled rather quickly for long trips, don't require powerlines across the landscape, and hydrogen can be generated and stored 24/7 when wind is greatest or electrical demand is low.

The BMW Hydrogen 7 mono-fuel is a demonstration production vehicle, not a prototype. It was created to showcase the zero CO2 and low emissions potential and feasibility of a dedicated hydrogen internal combustion engine (ICE). In addition, the BMW Hydrogen 7 mono-fuel helps deliver additional experience in the everyday use of hydrogen beyond what has already been learned with the nearly 100 bi-fuel Hydrogen 7 Sedans that have been used in a customer test drive program since November 2006.

The Hydrogen 7's V12 mono-fuel ICE produces no CO2 and near-zero emissions, while not sacrificing performance. In fact, the tailpipe emissions are so infinitesimal they pushed the limits of current emission testing technology.

Independent authorities, including the Argonne National Laboratory (ANL), have confirmed these results. ANL conducted emission tests on BMW Hydrogen 7 mono-fuel vehicles in early March 2008.

"The BMW Hydrogen 7's emissions were only a fraction of SULEV level, making it one of the lowest emitting combustion engine vehicles that have been manufactured," said Thomas Wallner, a mechanical engineer who leads Argonne's hydrogen vehicle testing activities. "Moreover, the car's engine actively cleans the air. Argonne's testing shows that the Hydrogen 7's 12-cylinder engine actually shows emissions levels that, for certain components, such as Non Methane Organic Gases (NMOG's) and Carbon Monoxides (CO's), are cleaner than the ambient air that comes into the car's engine."

BMW and ANL will hold a joint press conference about the ground-breaking results at the SAE World Congress. Christophe Huss, Vice-president - Development Abroad, Type Approval and Traffic Management for BMW will be present at the SAE World Congress.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

BMW Hydrogen 7 Mono-Fuel #2

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

I wonder what the power figures are and how differently the engine drives to other ICE's, such as were the power and torque is in the rev's. (Eg, Big V8's generally low torque, while rotory high (RPM) power)
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

All wonderful, but how fast is it?
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

In my opinion, and I'm no expert, it's a brilliant idea.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

IIRC the performance figures are about half of that of a comparable petrol engine. Just wondering how the fuel storage has been done by them..

Last shot, first post is also an absolutely amazing looking photo !

you could see that coming. it's a really great achievement and i look forward to further popularising of that project.

i was given a ride on a backseat of a bi-fuel hydrogen 7 series around frankfurt on the 2007 IAA and i don't see anything wrong with the dynamics, i asked the driver to push the pedal harder and i could sense the power. seeing how much time and money was put into that idea it can't be different than awesome now
    12 cylinders or walk!

We're one step closer! I hope they can figure out a way to make production costs manageable and actually cost effective. Then we will be really close!

Actually it is not such a huge achievement. They only built this long-known kind of ICE into a car. It has no fuel cells or anything, it just uses hydrogen as fuel in a ICengine. To be totally honest, it is offcourse unique but other could have done this as well, but decided to go for the fuel-cell car. I really don't see it as more than a marketing exercise. They allready had the bi-fuel version up and running, so they had to do very little development work..

If they really want to get hydrogen out to the crowds, they should produce the bi-fuel version. Then people will not have to depend on the at the moment very rare hydrogen stations alone. They'll come when there is a demand for it.. Investing allready is quite useless atm , when looking from the fuel suppliers side. Not to even mention it is much less efficient to produce hydrogen at the moment. Just pouring the fuel into the engine is more efficient than the production and storage of it..

A engine like the new Mahle 3-cilinder is much more interesting and technically much more difficult to design. Much more efficient also. This is probably a better way into the future.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Actually it is not such a huge achievement. They only built this long-known kind of ICE into a car. It has no fuel cells or anything, it just uses hydrogen as fuel in a ICengine. To be totally honest, it is offcourse unique but other could have done this as well, but decided to go for the fuel-cell car. I really don't see it as more than a marketing exercise. They allready had the bi-fuel version up and running, so they had to do very little development work..

If they really want to get hydrogen out to the crowds, they should produce the bi-fuel version. Then people will not have to depend on the at the moment very rare hydrogen stations alone. They'll come when there is a demand for it.. Investing allready is quite useless atm , when looking from the fuel suppliers side. Not to even mention it is much less efficient to produce hydrogen at the moment. Just pouring the fuel into the engine is more efficient than the production and storage of it..

A engine like the new Mahle 3-cilinder is much more interesting and technically much more difficult to design. Much more efficient also. This is probably a better way into the future.
    The word of God,

Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Actually it is not such a huge achievement. They only built this long-known kind of ICE into a car. It has no fuel cells or anything, it just uses hydrogen as fuel in a ICengine.
    Perhaps but using hydrogen in an ICE is probably more realistic in the present than a mass produced fuel cell. I am pretty sure BMW uses a liquid hydrogen storage system with a relief valve of sorts to prevent excessive pressure build up.

BMW Hydrogen 7 Mono-Fuel #3

BMW Hydrogen 7 Mono-Fuel #4

BMW Hydrogen 7 Mono-Fuel #5

BMW Hydrogen 7 Mono-Fuel #6

Thread Information