Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo Concept

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Lets smush a X6 and see what we get.

And what the hell do we name this thing when it goes into production?

Too many niche cars!

So we have the 5 series sedan, 5 series Gran Turismo Piece of crap, X6, then X5?

Totally pointless.
    you forgot the 5 series estate...
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    I'm glad its only a concept. Hopefully it gets the response it deserves and they don't make anything looking close to it.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    you forgot the 5 series estate...
    The trunk thing is kinda cool, but do you really need it? It makes the rear all stubby looking. And seriously. If you really do need the extra room, get the wagon version. Or, if you're smart, you'd just get a Subaru Legacy wagon and save all that extra money for other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
    I'm glad its only a concept. Hopefully it gets the response it deserves and they don't make anything looking close to it.
    Actually, I think it's close to production. Not sure though.

considering how people reacted to the X6 concepts, I don't think so.
    considering how poeple reacted to the X1 concept, headed for production afaik, I don't think so.
    considering how people reacted to the CS concept, which isn't supposed to be produced, despite some spy shots, I don't think so.

A doctor, hurry, BMW is sick, need a compete check up!

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    The trunk thing is kinda cool, but do you really need it? It makes the rear all stubby looking. And seriously. If you really do need the extra room, get the wagon version. Or, if you're smart, you'd just get a Subaru Legacy wagon and save all that extra money for other stuff.
    deal!

this man knows the trof.

Quote Originally Posted by teatako View Post
    So is an R-Class Mercedes a GT ? (I am assuming it handles great and is very very comfortable, as well as spacious in the inside. And well made and reliable and so on) I like the idea of the R-Class.
    I have to say I think it is. Maybe the ultimate Grand Tourer should be an MPV with an FR layout and individual seats.

I personally think the R-class is a good idea, badly executed.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Had a good laugh at myself, and BMW today,....I was driving along behind a gold 5 series for a few blocks...and I was looking at it as I was driving then I noticed it was a Hyundai Genesis.

Then it struck me the Hyundai may be the better looking car eventhough they ripped off Mercedes in the front and the fiver at the rear....but since the recent 5's look so Korean anyway it seems alright to do it.

there you go my personal Italian opinion:

Gran Turismo: should be a great car to drive in long driving sessions, to holiday locations, or a sunday's trips on shiny days on some mountain's roads.
    therefore, this car has one main failure: rooms for luggages, too much luggages, and room in the rear seats, too much room. What's wrong with space?
    I tell you, that's space for kids and kids' luggages. now, how can you enjoy a trip with a child trowing up every 20 miles, asking where you are, the name of the town, the speed you are going to, to stop for peeing and so on.
    besides the car has to be very good to drive. and perhaps this will be so, but as I always answer to folks arguing say an X5 is an excellent performing...thing, imagine if the thing was 500 kg or more lighter, with a lower CG, smaller and more useful tires, and so on? it would be simply a better car. so even if this car can be good, and surely it will be, as for the Panamera for example, it would still have too many things to prevent it to be called a real GranTurismo.
    look at the Maserati, at the 612, an XKR or a DB9, or even say a 6 Series. that's the longest stretch I can accept for a Gran Turismo nomenclature.
    want more room for luggages? call Vanderbrink and ask for their 612 Shooting Brake.
    Why limit it though?

I mean why not think outside the box? For a grand tourer, or a gran turismo if you prefer, I'd say the interior is one of the most important bits and therefore the space does play a key role in it in my opinion. The MPVish shape provides better space than a classic coupé.

Don't think about kids, think about friends. A grand tourer after all isn't meant to be a family car. In my view a grand tourer is meant to cross countries rapidly in supreme comfort. And space is part of being comfortable. I think this particular interior could be the base for a great grand tourer:

Now I'm not saying I don't like classic gran tourers à la 612 Scaglietti, I do. But why not be creative and open minded? Why close ourselved with a restrained concept?
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Why limit it though?

I mean why not think outside the box? For a grand tourer, or a gran turismo if you prefer, I'd say the interior is one of the most important bits and therefore the space does play a key role in it in my opinion. The MPVish shape provides better space than a classic coupé.

Don't think about kids, think about friends. A grand tourer after all isn't meant to be a family car. In my view a grand tourer is meant to cross countries rapidly in supreme comfort. And space is part of being comfortable. I think this particular interior could be the base for a great grand tourer:

Now I'm not saying I don't like classic gran tourers à la 612 Scaglietti, I do. But why not be creative and open minded? Why close ourselved with a restrained concept?
    I agree for as regards the interiors.
    But technically a car with a shape more similar to say a coupe, it's better handling, with a lower CG, a more rigid chassis, and also a simpler mechanical layout, generally.
    The definition I described above it's just a fast and silly thought, nothing serious, but I do prefer a sort of coupe instead of an MPV, even if, after owning two minivans, I know what that it means to travel with six other friends.
    Still the higher driving position, the weight distribution, the less rigid and precise chassis and suspensions, togheter with more stressed brakes, would just result in a fast commuting, not really what I call grand touring.
    by that, even a limousine could work with a decent set-up.
    Driving a tortuous like the Stelvio wasn't what I remind as a good drive with the Phedra, but rather as an excellent view. Even if the Phedra was absolutely comfortable, the engine torque-ish enough to move the whole group up the mountain, and so on, it was just a trip.
    With something more focused, like an S-Max say, even if I don't like it, it would be something better, sure, but why not a Focus ST at the point?

I agree for as regards the interiors.
    But technically a car with a shape more similar to say a coupe, it's better handling, with a lower CG, a more rigid chassis, and also a simpler mechanical layout, generally.
    The definition I described above it's just a fast and silly thought, nothing serious, but I do prefer a sort of coupe instead of an MPV, even if, after owning two minivans, I know what that it means to travel with six other friends.
    Still the higher driving position, the weight distribution, the less rigid and precise chassis and suspensions, togheter with more stressed brakes, would just result in a fast commuting, not really what I call grand touring.
    by that, even a limousine could work with a decent set-up.
    Driving a tortuous like the Stelvio wasn't what I remind as a good drive with the Phedra, but rather as an excellent view. Even if the Phedra was absolutely comfortable, the engine torque-ish enough to move the whole group up the mountain, and so on, it was just a trip.
    With something more focused, like an S-Max say, even if I don't like it, it would be something better, sure, but why not a Focus ST at the point?
    Because you're probably thinking of an sportscar.

Now I think that handling is always important in a car, but a twisty mountain road, like the Stelvio pass, shouldn't be a grand tourer's home turf probably. A grand tourer should excel at covering big distances in supreme comfort in my opinion. Which where a driver focused MPV might come in handy. You may have the space but the ability to drive at over 200km/h on the motorway if you want as well. That for me is what a grand tourer should be.

Now think of the R-Class, it has the right mechanical layout, meaning better road holding. Powerful engines, meaning fast progress. And an MPV body, potentially meaning better comfort. And isn't that what grand tourer is all about?
    Visca Catalunya!

a dissapointment !!
    BMW Stands For : Best Motor in the World

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Because you're probably thinking of an sportscar.

Now I think that handling is always important in a car, but a twisty mountain road, like the Stelvio pass, shouldn't be a grand tourer's home turf probably. A grand tourer should excel at covering big distances in supreme comfort in my opinion. Which where a driver focused MPV might come in handy. You may have the space but the ability to drive at over 200km/h on the motorway if you want as well. That for me is what a grand tourer should be.

Now think of the R-Class, it has the right mechanical layout, meaning better road holding. Powerful engines, meaning fast progress. And an MPV body, potentially meaning better comfort. And isn't that what grand tourer is all about?
    I would call it a german panzer. Every (proper) car from MB, for instance, is good at covering big distances quickly and in comfort too.
    actually, as a grand tourer I would call in the Continental GT, even if the worst example and something not to repeat again.
    then again, we are trying to categorize something which is defined by small differences and exceptions.
    let's say we are thinking of the best vehicle to cover quickly distances in comfort, being it a grand tourer or a minivan.
    I would go to something a la Maserati, personally, because it's going to be good looking, comfortable and fast. something really satisfying to do.
    a step forward, needing to move some friends, I would use a Bentley Brooklands.
    as a final requirement, I would go MPV in case I should go with a lot of friends and some luggages too to a certain place, say even a concert, as I did.

I still have to say my father loved the Phedra, and did from 50 to 70.000 km per year with those two. He suffers at the back every know and then, due to hernia, but the trips in it were never a problem, something quite different from the previous experience with eh Alfa 156. So the car was comfortable for long journeys, spacious and ready for every use, being the groceries, a trip with friend, or the need of moving some big equipment for work.
    that's mean an MPV, with the right engine and the right setup could do the work really well.
    After all, the level of performance delivered by even an XK8 is much more than what you can actually enjoy safely on the road, so, it's a sort of waste.
    But I would still go with the Jag, or the other options that is.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    I'm finding it suddenly really strange that the videogame Gran Turismo was named what it was....
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

I'm finding it suddenly really strange that the videogame Gran Turismo was named what it was....
    well, it has a bias toward road cars... so it makes sense to me.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

i work for BMW
    All that stuff is old
    And BTW
    X6's are just as uncomfortable as the rest

Thread Information