Thread: Alfa Romeo Giulietta (2014)

Alfa Romeo Giulietta (2014)

So, about six weeks ago I picked up my new car - Alfa Romeo Giulietta. It has a 1,4 Turbo Multiair engine with 125 kW, six speed manual gearbox, full leather interior and your typical modern car comfort features.

Since I’m a modest man, I went for a very discreet look - dark gray exterior color (Grigio Antracite sounds so much more sexier), small 17 inch alloys with classic multi-spoke design plus few subtle bodywork extras: chromed mirrors, side skirts and darkened headlights.

The main reason I went for a Giulietta is that amazing little engine. It has power, it has attitude, it even sounds right. Economy is superb – 7,4 litres per 100 kms with mostly urban driving. Truly a fantastic piece of engineering, I can not praise it enough.

Reason number two was Alfa’s new sport car 4C. It’s been a long time since I’ve been so excited about a new car and somehow 4C makes a Giulietta that more desirable car for me. Last, but not the least, was the five-year guarantee offered by Alfa Romeo.

It is interesting to compare Giulietta to Alfa 159 which I had three years as a company car. 159 is definitely a better looking car, both inside and outside. However, Giulietta is a much better car to drive - it feels light and responsive whereas 159 felt heavy and somewhat cumbersome.

Here a few snapshots, please excuse the lack of artistic value.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats! Beautiful car indeed, and those darkened headlights are just perfect!
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Congratulations indeed.

The Giulietta is one of the best looking C-segment hatchbacks out there and the 1.4 T-Jet is lovely little engine.

Have you had experience with a non-Multiair version? If so, what are differences?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Have you had experience with a non-Multiair version? If so, what are differences?
    No, I haven't any. But I know they have lower gear ratios, so they are quicker than Multiair at the traffic lights GP.

I did have a test drive of a Giulietta Multiair with a twin-clutch gearbox. That was mighty impressive, very smooth and effortless. Most likely it is quicker too.

However, what I really wanted was a manual, because a) unlike TCT lever, manual gear lever looks great, b) if feels even better in your palm, c) with manual gearbox, you can really feel how the engine is working. Things like turbo lag and Multiair witchcraft are well masked by TCT, so arriving at the engine "sweet spot" isn't as satisfying.

Very nice! Congratulations on the new acquisition.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Curious to see how different they are to drive to Dodge Dart, which IIRC have the same powertrain on the same platform but in sedan only...and I've see a lot of the Alfa driving around during the R&D phase...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    No, I haven't any. But I know they have lower gear ratios, so they are quicker than Multiair at the traffic lights GP.
    I remember fondly the little T-Jet engine. It was very Italian, begging to be driven with gusto and good mid-range punch.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Beautiful car. I was in Italy recently and I left jealous that we don't have Alpha's in the states. They are just gorgeous from every angle.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Good to see you here back again too, rj!

Thanks man. This is a nice group on here. Is Henk still around?
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

He makes an appearance from time to time, but it's pretty dead in general to be honest. I check in now an again, but it's hardly as busy as it used to be.

Looks great! Congrats!

Thread Information