Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Out with the old, in with the new (to me)

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    My Dad's dodge doesn't have them yet, we only picked it up last Friday. They'll come in a couple of weeks. As far as I know, the states set the law on whether or not places are required in front; but as always, enforcement varies. Texas plates have to be changed every 7 years by law, and then you get different numbers. In the case of my Focus, I'm not sure yet whether it'll register with tese plates or if I'll have new ones issued.

The engine is a hopped-up version of the Zetec 2.0l. It uses the same block, but the head has slightly larger intake valves, variable valve timing, higher compression, header, and a dual-stage intake manifold, all from the factory. 170hp @ 7000rpm, but only 145tq @ 5500. The short gearing and VCT keep it pretty responsive though, it cruises in 6th gear at 2000rpm just fine.

As for the Euro bumpers, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't pass the saftety inspection here in TX, so I'm going to have to pass on the idea...
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Aaah, I see, it has Texas plates already does it not?
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    I bet those US bumpers could deliver a reasonable level of protection within the American milieu, unlike euro-spec
    So you think that the European bumpers were not designed to offer protection?

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    But the yanks have to have bigger bumpers don't they?
    Who would:

a) measure them?

b) care?

I think there may have been sarcasm in there, Cov. As far as I can see, my bumpers protect fairly well... all the pedestrians I've hit can take liquids...

that poor fence post...
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    that poor fence post...
    *shrugs* My car is fine, so the fence post can go swivel...

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks View Post
    So you think that the European bumpers were not designed to offer protection?
    No, I think the US bumpers offer more protection - especially 'within the American milieu'

Conversely are you implying there is no difference in effectiveness between the muchly flusher euro bumpers vs NA spec?
    Who would:

a) measure them?

b) care?
    (a) The US govt, which tests bumper performance for compliance to its product performance regs. Different countries impose differing standards - eg Pontiac GTO/Monaro wasn't sold in Canada, apparently its bumpers don't comply with Canadian regs

(b) FoMoCo obviously does because it seems safe to assume the existing Focus bumper setup wouldn't gain type approval for sale in North America. Or did Ford redesign them on a whim of added expense, for no good reason?

No, I think the US bumpers offer more protection
    How? By sticking out further?

That just means you are more likely to hit something, because you have a massive bumper jutting out the back of your car where you can't see it.

How often do you bump into anything anyway?

If it is hard enough to do substantial damage, the state of the bumpers are going to be the least of your worries.

(a) The US govt

(b) FoMoCo
    So you think that if he swaps his bumpers over, someone is going to go to his house and measure them, determine that they aren't the correct size and then do what exactly?

Fine him? Chuck him in gaol?

Do these rules apply to aftermarket bodykits? If not then it isn't even an issue.

regulations set by people who treat cars as washing machines or fridges........
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt View Post
    regulations set by people who treat cars as washing machines or fridges........
    Sad but true. For the time being, no bumpers. I'd like to spend my money on power mods rather than cosmetics...
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    Sad but true. For the time being, no bumpers. I'd like to spend my money on power mods rather than cosmetics...
    With a couple of feet less car jutting out the back I'm sure you'd go faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks View Post
    How? By sticking out further?
    In essence the concept centres around adherance to stricter standards of vehicle impact protection
    That just means you are more likely to hit something, because you have a massive bumper jutting out the back of your car where you can't see it.
    Extrapolating such 'logic' means your ideal bumper setup has no overhang at all
    How often do you bump into anything anyway?
    Less often than you have thats for sure. Btw aren't you forgetting the other half of this equasion?
    If it is hard enough to do substantial damage, the state of the bumpers are going to be the least of your worries.
    Thank you Einstein for bequeathing us these penetrating insights - real Ph.D material
    So you think that if he swaps his bumpers over, someone is going to go to his house and measure them, determine that they aren't the correct size and then do what exactly?

Fine him? Chuck him in gaol?
    After establishing a 'failure to comply with bumper etiquette' I'm beginning to suspect these blackshirts will immediately contact their evil commissar at Central HQ (located in Coventry, England) and await further instructions from the dreaded Dr Bumper
    Do these rules apply to aftermarket bodykits? If not then it isn't even an issue.
    Perchance any further line of questioning you've left out re JCP's bumpers? Colour? Shape? Texture? Orgone content?

Thanks for that, nota. I haven't laughed like that in a long time...

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
    They're called 'reflectors'. They're a federal law in some/all states, brought in the late '60s, early '70s.
    '68 was the year when there were mandated, I believe. Side marker lights.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    '68 was the year when there were mandated, I believe. Side marker lights.
    Thanks. I seem to remember seeing them on the '68 Charger R/T.

Thread Information