View Poll Results: which would you have?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lotus Esprit

24 23.30%
  • Honda NSX-R

28 27.18%
  • Ferrari 355

51 49.51%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Lotus Esprit vs NSX-R vs ferrari 355

I wonder what the deal was with them. too expensive to produce and not enough benefit perhaps? maybe its better just to have 2 bigger intake valves instead of 3 smaller ones? any ideas?

Maybe at this rate ferrari will go back to pushrod motors...vette style :^)

(totally kidding)
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    I wonder what the deal was with them. too expensive to produce and not enough benefit perhaps? maybe its better just to have 2 bigger intake valves instead of 3 smaller ones? any ideas?

Maybe at this rate ferrari will go back to pushrod motors...vette style :^)

(totally kidding)
    IIRC basically the complexity didn't justify the benefits.

Maserati even thought of a 6vpc V6 engine, but it never entered production.

'High-Tech' Engine
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

haha very high tech. a 261 horsepower turbocharged v6...
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

haha very high tech. a 261 horsepower turbocharged v6...
    You know, around the same time the US needed and engine that was almost twice as big and had almost 50% more boost to produce 60bhp less than the Maserati 36 valve V6...
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    You know, around the same time the US needed and engine that was almost twice as big and had almost 50% more boost to produce 60bhp less than the Maserati 36 valve V6...
    I gotta say, my bad. I didn't read the year on the article. that wasn't too bad for the mid 80's I thought that motor was kind of a recent development. my mistake.

I thought the same as you at first rj, but it is running at 0.8 bar, so what like 11 psi roughly which isn't a huge amount of boost, and it's only 2L. I'd be more interested in what a 6vpc NA engine could make.

Ferrer I see you dig that Maser site eh?

Being the devil's advocate here, I assume you are talking about the Grand National, but keep in mind there was also the GNX which cost under 30k in 1987 and was conservatively rated at 276 hp and 360 lb-ft of torque using 2vpc OHVs - I think it was one of the faster cars available at the time. Mind you, 30k in 1987 is not cheap - how much was a Maserati at that time I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Being the devil's advocate here, I assume you are talking about the Grand National, but keep in mind there was also the GNX which cost under 30k in 1987 and was conservatively rated at 276 hp and 360 lb-ft of torque using 2vpc OHVs - I think it was one of the faster cars available at the time. Mind you, 30k in 1987 is not cheap - how much was a Maserati at that time I wonder?
    Yep, I was thinking of the Grand National.

The GNX may have more power than the Maserati engine, but it still was a 3.8 litre engine running 15psi of boost. For the 80's (and in fact even today) I think that the Maserati 36 valve engine is quite interesting.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Yep, I was thinking of the Grand National.

The GNX may have more power than the Maserati engine, but it still was a 3.8 litre engine running 15psi of boost. For the 80's (and in fact even today) I think that the Maserati 36 valve engine is quite interesting.
    I think its a very interesting engine. I remember it from an old magazine, they said it was very prone to overheating. Also the more valves you add the gains are dimminishing. You gain quite a lot going from 2->3->4, but more than 4 the gains are quite small IIRC.
    Nulla tenaci invia est via

Quote Originally Posted by Knuto View Post
    I think its a very interesting engine. I remember it from an old magazine, they said it was very prone to overheating. Also the more valves you add the gains are dimminishing. You gain quite a lot going from 2->3->4, but more than 4 the gains are quite small IIRC.
    I once saw a graphic that related number of vpc and efficiency and IIRC 6 had the best results.

Even so the added complexity possibly is too much for the theorethical gains.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Knuto View Post
    You gain quite a lot going from 2->3->4, but more than 4 the gains are quite small IIRC.
    i dunno about there being much gain from going 2-3 but there is from going 2-4.

look at ford vs chevy trucks. the gm 5.3 litre has 2 valves and the ford 5.4 litre has 3 valves. both make about the same ammount of power and the gm gets better mileage. Same story with the 4.8 vs the 4.6 only the 4.8 makes more power (not surprising given the displacement).

i dunno about there being much gain from going 2-3 but there is from going 2-4.

look at ford vs chevy trucks. the gm 5.3 litre has 2 valves and the ford 5.4 litre has 3 valves. both make about the same ammount of power and the gm gets better mileage. Same story with the 4.8 vs the 4.6 only the 4.8 makes more power (not surprising given the displacement).
    Ok I see. I seem to remember some Merc engine or something claiming increased efficiency.

EDIT: Multi-valve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Ford 3-valve vs 2-valve:
    Ford claims an 80% improvement in high rpm breathing without the added cost of a second camshaft per bank of cylinders
    Last edited by Knuto; 12-17-2008 at 10:19 AM.
    Nulla tenaci invia est via

Thread Information