Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C&D review Evo 9.

C&D review Evo 9.

Slow evolution toward another revolution.
    BY AARON ROBINSON
    May 2005

Japanese love a good obento, which is a select assortment of traditional delicacies served in a bento box, a compartmentalized tray with high walls to prevent intermingling of foodstuffs. Perhaps that's why you can't buy the same feisty Mitsubishi Colt Turbo hatchback in both Europe and Japan, or the nifty six-passenger Mitsubishi Grandis wagon in the U.S. Intermingling has risky consequences. It's bad obento.

At least there's the Lancer Evolution, which Mitsubishi spreads like sinus-clearing wasabi across the world to spice up its lackluster image. For 2006, the Lancer Evolution's generational odometer rolls over from the current Evo VIII, on sale since 2003, to the Evo IX. Accordingly, this rigid, noisy, spartan, all-wheel-drive son-of-a-rally-car gets new front and rear bumpers, aero tweaks, nattier seats, and lighter alloy wheels. And along with that it gets a 10-hp boost to 286, mostly from a new-to-Evo variable-valve-timing system.

Timing is everything, as we discovered with our own test gear strapped onto a six-speed Evo IX MR at Mitsubishi's Okazaki track. It's a postage stamp of grass and asphalt ribbons enveloped by the dense suburbs near Nagoya, Japan, and home to Evo development since the Evo II in 1992. With the Evo IX MR, we saw 60 mph in 4.6 seconds and the quarter-mile in 13.4 seconds at 104 mph, the fleetest sprinting we've garnered from any stock Evo.

Oh, but you were expecting more than new bumpers and 10 added horses for the Evo IX? The name is "Evolution," after all, and it is indeed evolving toward an all-new Evo X set to arrive late in 2007. That would be shortly after the debut of a redesigned Lancer sedan on a new platform dubbed GS.

Meanwhile, be content with the same three Evo flavors as before-the trim-stripped RS and the base Evo, both with five-speed manuals, plus the six-speed Evo MR with Bilstein shocks and forged BBS wheels. We're told to expect a $500 bump of the current base prices (starting at $29,074 for the RS) when pricing is announced for the September on-sale date.

Inside are aluminum pedals (except in the RS) and redesigned seats. A faux-carbon-fiber panel adorns the dash. Cloth is gone; pseudo-suede center panels are now bordered by leather bolsters. All-leather seats are an option.

Outside, a new front bumper fights aerodynamic lift with an available chin spoiler that increases the low-pressure zone under the nose. Two oval nostrils in the bumper help the intercooler by ramming fresh air around its input and output pipes. In back, the carbon-fiber airfoil can be had with a Gurney flap, a thin wing extension that increases downforce to the rear.

It's about a more stable stance and better steering response above 90 mph, says Hiroshi Fujii, or "Dr. Evo," the leader of the 100-man Evo development team. The good doctor knows more than a few things. Around Okazaki's high-speed oval with its stomach-plunging 45-degree banks, the Evo indeed tracked securely with reliable helm control. The throttle responds more quickly, but the real fireworks still happen after the needle swings past 3000 rpm.

An old devil with one new horn is the iron-block turbocharged 2.0-liter DOHC 16-valve inline four known as the 4G63. Upstairs, the intake cam now spins with an adjuster that advances or retards the cam as needed for best power. Unlike MIVEC in the Galant, Outlander, and Lancer Ralliart, the Evo's system adjusts only valve timing, not lift. The Evo IX's larger turbo-impeller housing supplies an easier pathway for exhaust gas, shrinking turbo lag by five percent, claims the quick-smiling Dr. Evo. Peak boost pressures actually drop slightly even as torque rises from 286 pound-feet at 3500 rpm to 289. Other changes: new piston oil rings to cut oil burning by 10 percent and a stouter nylon-reinforced timing belt.

The Evo keeps its driveline, so U.S.-bound cars still churn all four wheels without the help of Japan's active-yaw differentials. New Enkei aluminum wheels shed 3.3 pounds each over the old rims, but the Evo's suspension and steering remain otherwise unchanged. Hence, expect skidpad performance to stay in the low-0.90-g range, steering feel and body control in the rapturous range.

Yes, there will be an Evo X, insist the company execs milling around at Okazaki, even though Mitsubishi Motors has lost almost $9 billion over the past five years and was hemorrhaging at the rate of $12.5 million per day back in February, according to Automotive News. Mitsubishi sold a piddling 12,500 Evos worldwide last year (4497 of them in the U.S.), but it's a profitable business, says Hideyuki Iwata, Mitsubishi's product manager for the Lancer line. Besides, he adds, Mitsubishi dealers routinely accept a Porsche or Mercedes in trade for an Evo. That's a brand polisher for a company chin-deep in tarnish.

But where will the Evolution evolve next? "A wider power range, a softer ride, and quieter. This is our direction," Iwata says. Then he points to a Mitsubishi-owned Volkswagen R32 fitted with VW's silky-shifting Direct Shift Gearbox and asks, "What do you think of this transmission? It is very interesting to us." To some people, an Evo with paddle shifters and a mellow ride, an Evo that doesn't explode forward at 3000 rpm but merely wafts to higher velocities like a piano pushed off a skyscraper-well, that's just no Evo at all.

But we'll worry about that later.

2006 MITSUBISHI LANCER EVOLUTION IX MR
    Vehicle type: front-engine, 4-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 4-door sedan
    Estimated price as tested: $35,700 (estimated base price: $35,700)
    Engine type: turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 16-valve inline-4, iron block and aluminum head, port fuel injection
    Displacement: 122 cu in, 1997cc
    Power (SAE net): 286 bhp @ 6500 rpm
    Torque (SAE net): 289 lb-ft @ 3500 rpm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transmission: 6-speed manual
    Wheelbase: 103.3 in
    Length/width/height: 178.5/69.7/57.1 in
    Curb weight: 3300 lb
    Zero to 60 mph: 4.6 sec
    Zero to 100 mph: .11.9 sec
    Street start, 5-60 mph: 6.4 sec
    Standing 1/4-mile: 13.4 sec @ 104 mph
    Braking, 70-0 mph: 155 ft
    EPA fuel economy, city driving: 19 mpg
    I don't know how good of an idea this softer Evo with paddle shifters will be. But for now it looks good to me.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

good read. I personally dont like the idea of paddle shifters in an evo, they will probably suck. But it still an evo, and im the evo king :P Cant wait to see how the WRC team modify the car to suit EVO IX spec.

nice but i still wanna see a complete redesign, i think this design is getting a bit old
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

Really nice blue rite there!
    My Site - GTHS

http://www.angelfire.com/ult/gt4hotspot

well can someone mail mitsubishi and tell them to find a decent place to put the licence plate older???
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

They could center it, but it'd block air flow to the IC and radiator. I just wouldn't run a front plate if my state required one.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Motor tested evo 9 aswell, on the media launch day and compared it ON TRACK with an STI. so ive got evo 9 vs STI right in the next room

ill type it up for you guys

breif summary, they liked the evo more because of its in corner tricks (AYC etc)
    they liked the idea of in the subaru you can dial 65% of the drive to the rear wheels.

so they aer basicaly even, although the evo is more expencive. (by 4 grand or something)
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

in many states and provinces you dont need a front plate, a rear plate will do just fine, but i think it has to be there when you buy it, like i know ferrari 360s dont have front plates

wait nm, 360s DO have front plates ... its just all of the ones i see have them removed

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz
    Motor tested evo 9 aswell, on the media launch day and compared it ON TRACK with an STI. so ive got evo 9 vs STI right in the next room

breif summary, they liked the evo more because of its in corner tricks (AYC etc)
    they liked the idea of in the subaru you can dial 65% of the drive to the rear wheels.

so they aer basicaly even, although the evo is more expencive. (by 4 grand or something)
    Too bad the American versions won't get the AYC.

i would have loved to see the look on the guards face when they rocked up with the STi
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

5 Speed manuals? Pah! Forget it. Give the whole range 6 speeds for gods sake.

Softer Evo with Paddle Shifts? Get real.

Did the mention how the EVO9's we get are going to be a full supply thing, rather than 100 a year like the EVO8? Apparently its gunna drop the price of them under $60K
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    They could center it, but it'd block air flow to the IC and radiator. I just wouldn't run a front plate if my state required one.

But where i live (Portugal) i have to have a front plate and a bit bigger then usual. They could defenitly give it some thought and find a way to do it.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

The evo has always been a great car. But like Quiggs had said, the paddle shifters don't seem right on this car. Hopefully the paddles will benifit for better performance.
    My Photography: flickr.com/photos/a-m-photo/
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

Thread Information