Thread: Aston Martin to defend GT1 title with Gulf

Aston Martin to defend GT1 title with Gulf

Aston Martin Racing will return to Le Mans in 2008 to defend its GT1 title in the distinctive blue and orange livery of Gulf Oil.

Two Aston Martin DBR9s will look to emulate Gulf’s first victory at the 24 hour race 40 years on.

Alain Dujean, Gulf Oil vice president international, said: “This is arguably the most important year ever for Gulf in motorsport. The famous Gulf racing colours first tasted victory at Le Mans in 1968, so 2008 already had great significance for us, but for Gulf to have joined up with Aston Martin Racing for this year is fantastic – the coming together of two great automotive names, for what I hope will be a long and fruitful partnership.”

David Richards, chairman of Aston Martin, said: “Endurance racing is engrained in the heritage of both Gulf and Aston Martin and we have also both been intrinsically linked through Le Mans for many decades. It was perhaps destined that, in the year we defend our GT1 title and Gulf celebrates the 40th anniversary of its win, we would finally race together at La Sarthe.”

The two Aston Martin DBR9s for 2008 will be entered as numbers 007 and 009.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

There is more Aston Martin Racing news to come later today.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Looking nice. It seems that no mater what car it is, the Gulf livery always looks great.
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo View Post
    Looking nice. It seems that no mater what car it is, the Gulf livery always looks great.
    It looks odd though. I think I prefer the traditional British Racing Green colors.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Great news! I hope they'll be able to win the title again But is it only for the Le Mans 24h or for the whole LMS season as well?

BTW: The former Aston Martin Racing partner - Larbre Compétition, will run Oreca-prepared Saleen S7-Rs in LMS this year.
    Last edited by go.pawel; 01-10-2008 at 06:22 AM.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Some more images
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Ted Joans)

i agree it looks really sweet. i'm just curious on what basis are they cooperating - is gulf paying for that as a normal sponsor, or just richards thought it'd be a nice promo for his cars?
    12 cylinders or walk!

Looks very good.

Quote Originally Posted by dydzi View Post
    i agree it looks really sweet. i'm just curious on what basis are they cooperating - is gulf paying for that as a normal sponsor, or just richards thought it'd be a nice promo for his cars?
    Wouter quoted:

"Alain Dujean, Gulf Oil vice president international, said: This is arguably the most important year ever for Gulf in motorsport..."

And then there is the fact of the stickers on the cars, although judging by the size of them it doesn't look like they are the main sponsors... I agree, always nice colors.
    Zag when they Zig

Quote Originally Posted by dydzi View Post
    I would assume that Gulf pays for this exposure.

(Ted Joans)

Gulf colors are so popular nowadays, but it looks really awesome.

Yeah, that does look real good. Gulf colors are classic, especially on the Porsche 917.

If I had the money, I'd buy a DB9 Sport and have it painted those colours.

A Ford GT in the Gulf colours is on my list to someday own . . . if I can't afford a 917 in Gulf livery.

I still perfer the BRG

Thread Information