Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2008 24 Hours of Le Mans Entry List

I really hope the Acuras get in somehow, no matter how unlikely it is lol. I was really looking forward to seeing them compete.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    I really hope the Acuras get in somehow, no matter how unlikely it is lol. I was really looking forward to seeing them compete.
    That would be nice, to be honest, I was more looking forward to see the Spyders there for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo.Jenkens View Post
    Oddly there is only one less Spyker than 911... weird.
    The first 997 GT3 RSR wasn't very good and several teams switched to the Ferrari. There are two teams in the entry list with a Ferrari that campaigned a Porsche last year. The Ferrari was the car to beat, although it did not win the two 24 hours races. Porsche has made a big deal about launching a new version of their car, but Ferrari has also made quite some revisions to the F430, so it is still uncertain if the 2008 Porsche will have what it takes. Hopefully the new Aston Martin and new Spyker can add further competition in anticipation of BMW's entry.

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Not to mention only two RS Spyders after they made such a big deal the RS Spyder was going to be there. LeMans used to be Porsche's race, but it almost seems as if they don't care anymore.
    I believe the two European teams were assigned by Porsche to test the water. Both teams have class winning potential, so it is not that they have no chance. It must be said that the LMP2 class is very unpredictable as the cars struggle with reliability. A high revving V8 is a disaster weighting to happen. This was the case when the Cosworth DFV was tried at Le Mans and it is still the case with Porsche's V8. It vibrates itself and the rest of the car to pieces.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Hopefully the new Aston Martin and new Spyker can add further competition in anticipation of BMW's entry.
    What are BMW going to be running? An M3?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    What are BMW going to be running? An M3?
    BMW E92 M3 GTR - Ultimatecarpage.com - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I believe the two European teams were assigned by Porsche to test the water. Both teams have class winning potential, so it is not that they have no chance. It must be said that the LMP2 class is very unpredictable as the cars struggle with reliability. A high revving V8 is a disaster weighting to happen. This was the case when the Cosworth DFV was tried at Le Mans and it is still the case with Porsche's V8. It vibrates itself and the rest of the car to pieces.
    Didn't the DFV win in the end though? In a Mirage or something? in the mid 70's? Or maybe I'm completely wrong...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Didn't the DFV win in the end though? In a Mirage or something? in the mid 70's? Or maybe I'm completely wrong...
    It won twice actually; in 1975 and also in the back of a Rondeau in 1979 or 1980. Exceptions to the rule though.

Both Acura and Porsche have asked for a higher displacement limit, so they don't have to rev the engine as much.

(Ted Joans)

A high revving V8 is a disaster weighting to happen. This was the case when the Cosworth DFV was tried at Le Mans and it is still the case with Porsche's V8. It vibrates itself and the rest of the car to pieces.
    Is there the same problem with the 2L turbos?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Is there the same problem with the 2L turbos?
    No it's a high revving V8 problem specifically. The four cylinder engines are much more reliable.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Not to mention only two RS Spyders after they made such a big deal the RS Spyder was going to be there. LeMans used to be Porsche's race, but it almost seems as if they don't care anymore.
    and to add, they not even factory run... i'm sure they will have huge factory backing but no Team Porsche.

GT1 still seems the class to watch, 3 DB9's and 4 C6-R's however only 1 saleen? did they not do as well this year?
    "No sir you may not eat my hat"

KFA-R #88 OZYROCKET

Quote Originally Posted by KFA-R View Post
    and to add, they not even factory run... i'm sure they will have huge factory backing but no Team Porsche.

GT1 still seems the class to watch, 3 DB9's and 4 C6-R's however only 1 saleen? did they not do as well this year?
    At any LMS race with Porsche participation, there is always the Porsche Sport Truck in the paddock....

Factory teams are not allowed in LMP2.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    At any LMS race with Porsche participation, there is always the Porsche Sport Truck in the paddock....
    as i figured

Factory teams are not allowed in LMP2.
    hmmm, thats very interesting... the concept of LM racing is very cloudy to us australians, you can only get very limited coverage of the races on Pay TV, other than that not a word. so is LMP2 the only class with this rule? i gather LMP1 and GT1 are not like this as Aston Martin Racing and Team Audi running.
    "No sir you may not eat my hat"

KFA-R #88 OZYROCKET

as i figured

hmmm, thats very interesting... the concept of LM racing is very cloudy to us australians, you can only get very limited coverage of the races on Pay TV, other than that not a word. so is LMP2 the only class with this rule? i gather LMP1 and GT1 are not like this as Aston Martin Racing and Team Audi running.
    Correct, The "2" classes (LMP2 and GT2) are intended for privateers. In principle, an LMP2 car should also only have one pro driver, accompanied by one or two "gentleman" drivers. In ALMS Porsche and Acura have made a mockery of this "spirit"...

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Correct, The "2" classes (LMP2 and GT2) are intended for privateers. In principle, an LMP2 car should also only have one pro driver, accompanied by one or two "gentleman" drivers. In ALMS Porsche and Acura have made a mockery of this "spirit"...
    What about the GT2 Spykers?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information