Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ferrari to supply engines and know-how for A1GP and A2GP

Ferrari to supply engines and know-how for A1GP and A2GP

It seems Lola and Zytek have lost out on the lucrative A1GP contract. Ferrari will supply the engines and chassis design expertise. Presumably, the chassis will be built by a third party like Dallara.

London, Great Britain: A1GP Chairman, Tony Teixeira, has announced a truly historic and ground breaking partnership between Ferrari and the A1GP World Cup of Motorsport. Ferrari signed a six-year agreement to manufacture and supply all A1GP engines for this unique series and will consult on the design and manufacture of all A1GP car chassis for use in Season Four (2008/09).

The partnership with Ferrari extends to an exclusive licensing agreement for all A1GP merchandise to use the Ferrari name and phrase ‘Powered by Ferrari’ from January 2008.

Commenting on the momentous deal, Tony Teixeira said: ‘Partnering with a world-class organisation like Ferrari will officially position A1GP as one of the most significant motorsport series’ in the world.’

The introduction of A2GP was also announced today, a regional single-seat racing car series developed by A1GP to begin testing in 2009. Ferrari will be integral to the growth of the new series and will again supply all engines and consult on the design and manufacture of the new chassis.

A1GP also maintained its commitment to commercial partners and fans as a principal factor in confirming the partnership. ‘Ferrari will add significant value to our brand and in our opinion there is no better partner to progress the series,’ adds Mr Teixeira.

‘We will be meeting with our commercial partners over the next few weeks to discuss the multitude of exciting opportunities that this partnership presents.’

Finally Tony Teixeira notes; ‘Ferrari has a global presence through its dealer network. We will be working closely with them to ensure that they are a part of every A1GP World Cup of Motorsport event.’
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Is there any info, what type the engine will be, V8, V10 or V12. V12 would sound amazing, like old F1 engines.

wow that's extremely interesting news... so many possibilietes now, looking forward to it
    12 cylinders or walk!

will this be sufficient boost for A1GP? will it matter and A2GP what's with that...i don't think we need more single seater series fighting for sponsorship...especially at such a level with travelling etc.

Yeah, wouldn't this move give A1 more publicity?

A1, iirc, is a more competitive racing genre that competes between countries right?

I think it's just a lame move that will reduce competition and destroy A1GP
    Once fanboyism infects you it impares all your judgement.
    It's like being drunk, you lack common sense and everyone laughs at you.

Reduce competition? Don't all the cars use Zytek engines right now anyways? As long as they keep the boost button I don't think it will hurt A1GP.

Quote Originally Posted by deffenbaugh03 View Post
    Reduce competition? Don't all the cars use Zytek engines right now anyways? As long as they keep the boost button I don't think it will hurt A1GP.
    boost button=lame
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

The boost button is a great idea for certian tracks, such as eastern creek.
    There is only really one or two places they can use it on the track - so it becomes a great challenge to watch.

I'd rather go to see A1 Racing than F1 racing any day of the week.
    However as an "event" F1 wins out.

As for the engines, theyre currently using a small capacity V8 arent they? i wouldnt think they would go any bigger.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

^ ...and we'd both rather watch GT racing than A1
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

When I went to the A1 at eastern creek (thanks chris*) The support races were more enjoyable, however - the A1 cars were still very entertaining too.

Specifically when the lebanese car speared off the track and the commentator mentioned it was because of a defect station around the next bend. and the reason it was slower than the others its because it was weighed down by the subwoofers
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by kigango123 View Post
    I think it's just a lame move that will reduce competition and destroy A1GP
    Can you explain that sentence?
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

IIRC the current cars use something like a 3.5-4L V8. Ferrari are likely to base it all off their 2007 F1 package - chassis and engine included. The A1 guys want the chassis though to still have some traits of the current A1 car, as well as a better ability to overtake and the engine will need to last considerably longer so will probably be increased in displacement with the revs consequently dropped.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    boost button=lame
    Why do you think that? It provides excitement. F1=lack of excitement, there is very little passing in F1.

Quote Originally Posted by deffenbaugh03 View Post
    Why do you think that? It provides excitement. F1=lack of excitement, there is very little passing in F1.
    theres just something about it that rubs me the wrong way. i dont get the same excitement watching somebody boost their car to pass as i do when a brilliant pass is made between two virtually identical cars.

to be fair, i havent watched much A1, but the few races i have caught did not really hold my attention.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Thread Information