Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo kinda sucks now...

Nintendo kinda sucks now...

I have been looking at the E3 stuff for nintendo and microsoft and it suddenly hit me like a ton of bricks...nintendo kinda sucks now. Yeah i have a wii and i like it, but i only have 3 games for it and i probably wont be buying another one untill mlb 2k9 comes out and the only game i really ever play is mario kart and i probably wouldn't play if my fiance didn't like it so much.

I remember nintendo used to be the best but now it seems like 95% of the games on wii are cooking games or some other stupid little kid stuff.

I understand wii is selling like crazy and nintendo is getting filthy rich off of it but that doesn't mean its good.

here's an interesting article that shows how far nintendo has fallen.E3 08: Nintendo E3 98 Vs Nintendo E3 08 | GamesRadar
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Here's the thing - Nintendo is not as good in my eyes as they once were - the Cube and the Wii were not on the whole very impressive. Some of this has to do with me being older, but I think it is mostly that the quality of games has gone down from the glory days of SNES ans N64.

Mind you, the Wii is winning the console war this time around whereas the Cube was last place, so they are doing something right.

Another problem for Nintendo must be the amazing quality of past games - it is hard to live up to the games they used to make I think.

The thing I find with the Wii is that it is an excellent little party toy when you have friends round, but there are very few engaging single player games that you can play on your own. For that I just fire up the 360.
    "When I see an Alfa Romeo go by, I tip my hat." - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Dantera22B View Post
    The thing I find with the Wii is that it is an excellent little party toy when you have friends round, but there are very few engaging single player games that you can play on your own. For that I just fire up the 360.
    Agreed, except for me my computer is what I use for single player games.

Seeing the new motion sensor attachment that is coming bundled with Wii Sports: Resort looks pretty promising. Wii sports itself will probably be fun for about an hour. However i'm excited to see what programmers could do with those new capabilities.

for those who are nostalgic there are a bunch of n64 emulators out there, though a lot of the .rom(game) files on the web dont work
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I think what Nintendo have done is an absolutely genius piece of marketing and product development.

They know for a fact they can't compete with the likes of the 360 and PS3 in terms of the ultra high tech, cutting edge graphics and gameplay that the 'serious' gamers (ie geeks) go for. They tried to compete with the Gamecube and got hammered by the competition.

What they've done with their pricing and software/hardware development strategy is to appeal to the kind of people who have probably never bought or played games before, the kind of people who would be scared off by the large price tags and geeky/techy connotations and mumbo-jumbo of the other two consoles. And also the pricing means that "serious gamers" are likely to have a Wii as a supplement to the "serious gaming" on their 360s/PS3s/PCs for occasional drunken Mario Kart shenanigans with their buddies. They might not have the number of 1-player games to keep the hardcore gamer types happy, but the likes of Zelda, Mario Galaxy etc are more than enough for the casual gamer.

They've pulled off an absolute masterstroke in my opinion, and the sales figures appear to back that up.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    You're not the target market. PS2, and then Xbox managed to push Nintendo out, and they did the smart thing and diversified their product to less competitive markets.

If it makes you feel better, I only have 4 Xbox360 games.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
    I think what Nintendo have done is an absolutely genius piece of marketing and product development.

They know for a fact they can't compete with the likes of the 360 and PS3 in terms of the ultra high tech, cutting edge graphics and gameplay that the 'serious' gamers (ie geeks) go for. They tried to compete with the Gamecube and got hammered by the competition.

What they've done with their pricing and software/hardware development strategy is to appeal to the kind of people who have probably never bought or played games before, the kind of people who would be scared off by the large price tags and geeky/techy connotations and mumbo-jumbo of the other two consoles. And also the pricing means that "serious gamers" are likely to have a Wii as a supplement to the "serious gaming" on their 360s/PS3s/PCs for occasional drunken Mario Kart shenanigans with their buddies. They might not have the number of 1-player games to keep the hardcore gamer types happy, but the likes of Zelda, Mario Galaxy etc are more than enough for the casual gamer.

They've pulled off an absolute masterstroke in my opinion, and the sales figures appear to back that up.
    Perfectly said JB. Wii's are STILL selling out constantly to this day.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post

Well said indeed. I think that's precisely the point of the Wii.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

It's hard to compare the PS3 and 360 to the Wii because they are so different.

As a gaming console the Wii is vastly inferior, why is it out selling everything else? Because as JB said, non gamers are buying tons of them.

The wii is so popular because its a concept of gaming that hasn't been touched before now, it brings a physical component to virtual gaming.

It has so much potential, and maybe when they undoubtly bring out a second wii they can bump up the graphics and gameplay and interaction with the player to acommodate the "nerd" family tree..
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

It also doesn't help that when third parties release quality single player or even multiplayer games they don't sell anything. Zack & Wiki and Boom Blox spring to mind, apparently Z&W is a great game but they've not sold many at all and Boom Blox is a great fun party game but again, no sales. That's probably more of a marketing issue than anything else though.

Im not denying that nintendo had a brilliant idea when they came out with wii. im just saying it sucks, it has very few decent games. and most of the games that do sell big are cooking games or stupid stuff like that.

I do hope they figure out true 1-1 control because i know that shaking my wrist so swing a sword is really no more gratifying that pushing A.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

You're right to an extent. I really do wish there were more 1 player games for the Wii. Lately, I find that I open up my age old PS2 more often than turn on the Wii. I still return to Gran Turismo 4 and Ace Combat 5.

For multiplayer games, though the Wii kicks the PS2's ass though. The only real good 1 player game that I find is Mario Galaxy, I think.

Any recommendations on new Wii games? I might wanna get Okami, but that also came out on PS2, and it seems like it did better on the PS2 as well. And it's probably much cheaper.

I really think the PS3 is a more appropriate system for me.

I'm also thinking about getting Shadows of the Collosus on the PS2.

mario kart on wii is a great game and you can play online.

Thread Information