View Poll Results: Which would you rather have ?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe

12 44.44%
  • 2005 Nissan 350z Coupe

15 55.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2005 G35 coupe vs. 2005 350z

2005 G35 coupe vs. 2005 350z

2005 G35 Coupe (base)

MSRP: $32,400
    Engine Specs: 3.5L V-6 280 HP
    Transmission: 5-spd tip auto w/OD
    Fuel Economy City: 18.0 mpg
    Fuel Economy Highway: 25.0 mpg
    Bumper to Bumper Warranty: 48/60,000 (months/miles)

What Edmunds.com Says:
    Infiniti's rear-drive G35 is a BMW 3 Series fighter if ever there was one. A discussion of the G must start with what's underneath. Like the 350Z, both the sedan and coupe are built on Nissan's FM platform. FM stands for "Front Midship" and refers to the positioning of the engine. Compared to most front-engine cars, Infiniti's engineers have located the G35's V6 further rearward behind the front wheels to improve balance and handling. Dimensionally, the G35 sedan is bigger than most of its competition. For instance, the G35 is 186.5 inches long, about 10 inches longer than the BMW 330i and IS 300. It's also taller than most. This doesn't translate to extra weight, however, as both G35s weigh about as much as their peers. Weight savings comes from a carefully designed body structure, an aluminum hood and extensive use of aluminum for the front and rear suspension components. The performance equation gets even better when you check out the engine. Under the hood of every G35 is a 3.5-liter V6 similar to that found in the Nissan 350Z, Maxima and Altima. This advanced V6 features 24 valves, dual-overhead cams, variable valve timing and an electronically controlled throttle. Output is rated at 280 hp in coupes and sedans equipped with an automatic transmission; opt for the six-speed manual in either and you'll top out at 298. The driver is greeted by a T-shaped instrument panel that is modern in appearance. Once strapped in, the driver might notice that the driver seat is actually different from the front-passenger seat. The seat cushion has a special center-mound shape that contains firmer foam to support the driver better during sporty driving. Other features include a gauge cluster that tilts in tandem with the steering wheel (though there is no telescope function), an optional and concealable LCD screen for the navigation system and an analog clock. Infiniti's target from the beginning was to create a high level of driving performance in a package that offers day-to-day functionality. If you are shopping for an entry-luxury sport coupe or sedan, this is one that you'll want to check out.

vs.

2005 350z Coupe (base)

MSRP $26,500
    Engine Specs: 3.5L V-6 287 HP
    Transmission: 6-spd man w/OD
    Bumper to Bumper Warranty: 36/36,000 (months/miles)

What Edmunds.com says:

Few Nissan products have a more loyal following than the Z. Light, nimble, sporty and affordable, the original 1970 Datsun 240Z was the company's first big success in America. Prospective owners had to wait nearly six months to get one. Horsepower was set at 150, and the car listed at $3,526. Though it became increasingly heavier and more luxurious, the Z continued to sell well throughout the '70s and '80s. In 1990, Nissan debuted an all-new 300ZX. The car had a 222-hp V6 and a completely new body and interior. Later in the model year, a twin-turbo 300ZX went on sale with 300 horsepower. By the mid-'90s, however, the sports car market was shrinking. A strong yen also caused the Z's price to skyrocket. Sales slid and Nissan pulled the plug on the 300ZX in 1996. Within the depths of Nissan, however, the eternal light wasn't quite extinguished. In 1999, the Z Concept first appeared on the auto show circuit. Created in secret by a team of designers at Nissan's Southern California studios, this metallic orange car relied heavily on cues from the first-generation 240Z. Its styling wasn't perfect, and the hardware underneath was mostly 240SX, but it was enough to get Nissan's top execs -- as well as the public -- excited about another Z. So now, almost a decade later, the Z is back, as is Nissan. This latest iteration stays true to the sports car formula: two seats, front-mounted engine, rear-wheel drive and a tidy size. T-tops aren't available but a roadster is, and there is no 2+2 variant. Nissan wants the Z to be accessible, so it's priced less like the semi-exotic '90-'96 car and more like the original 240Z. The 350Z is built on Nissan's FM platform. FM (front midship) refers to the positioning of the engine. Compared to most front-engine cars in which a considerable amount of engine weight is placed over the front wheels, the 350Z's engine is located further rearward behind the front wheels. Therefore, the Z isn't a true front midengine car, but the gains from this platform are tangible and real. It boasts a compact engine compartment, a long wheelbase, wide wheel tracks, short overhangs and a 53-to-47 front-to-rear weight bias. Compared to a '91 300ZX, it's about the same length, but with a better weight bias and a much longer wheelbase. Handling, as you might imagine, is fantastic. Moreover, the standard 287-hp, 3.5-liter V6 is a smooth and potent companion. Blast through the gears and there's a constant, insistent rush apt to make even the most jaded driver grin like a grade-schooler driving a go-kart. Of course, you can get an automatic transmission, too. And if you want to feel the sun on your face, then there's always the drop-top version. Although several other manufacturers have introduced performance cars in this price range over the last few years, the 350Z remains an excellent buy for enthusiastic drivers who don't want to spend big bucks.

which would you rather have and if you could, tell us why.
    I still can't make up my mind
    Attached Images Attached Images

dont know bout the z, but the g35? i love that thing! so easy to drive, very nice for everyday!
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

I'd take the G-35, more luxurious and refined than the 350.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

i think this is a foolish comparison. the cars are practically the same-you could even call them running mates. their difference is the type of consumer they're angled at.
    Don't bother me, I'm probably working while posting...

UCP's biggest...oh man...i got nothin'

Easily the G35. More practical and luxurious.

ok, even tho im not gonna compare the 2 really, heres my full opinion of the g35.
    -handles very well
    -very comfortable, everything is easy to reach
    -very smooth ride (bit too smooth, can never tell how fast im going in it)
    -engine has more then enough horsepower for a sedan, and is quite responsive
    -elegant looks
    -everything just.....works

I sat in a G35 Coupe and was SO comfortable... Plus a nice luxurious interior...

But

The 350Z is sportier, more hp, less weight and IMO looks better... therefore is the one I would choose.

I'd take the 350Z. Tighter setup and IMO better looking.
    You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

G35, less japanesey (always a plus! ) more luxurious, more "prestige" haha
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

if all of you are going to keep this thread goin ill tag along

i took a ride in both and i must say that i cant chose very easilly
    G35:
    pros:
    comfy seats but you can still feel the road
    higher quality interior
    more bang for youre buck
    Cons:
    not a very popular name cause it just started out
    350Z:
    pros:
    every thing a sportscar under 100K should have
    comprable to a M3 and 911 Targa
    carries the Z badge
    Cons:
    cheapish interior (but all the quality and work goes into the engine and preformance)

the g35 didnt just start out....well, not really. its like 2 years old.

Luxury vs Sport is the choice you need to make. They Are The Same Company! And Who Cares About 7 Hp... My vote is G35!
    Fasten seat belt while seated

Quote Originally Posted by CHEESE-TACULAR
    G35:
    pros:
    more bang for youre buck
    You kinda confuse me. The 350Z is cheaper and got better performance.
    How can the G35 get you "more bang for your buck"?

#edit:
    Even the introduction text about the 350Z says:
    "the 350Z remains an excellent buy for enthusiastic drivers who don't want to spend big bucks."
    Last edited by andy.muc; 01-13-2005 at 03:22 AM.
    You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

well to get them on par you need to get some more options on the Z. in the end they come under $100 of each other. the G had more options standard plus all infiniti's bells and whistles, plus a much better interior. the Z gives amazing bang for buck too.

def the g35, you can drop the hammer if you wanted to but still maintain a luxurious feel, the 350 is more hardcore but if you really needed a hardcore car ... you wouldnt look at a 350z

Thread Information