Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TVR Pre-Production TVR Sagaris

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    The Sag I have only had since November but so far so good

Claire

PS...Al Melling..? Dont talk me about him... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    ahh, so its just a tighter service interval. My guess is that the engine has close tolerances (eg piston shape change on warm up) and that the warm up period is essential for this reason.

Well i dont know Al' that well..whats your issue? i just wish hed tutor me in engine design.
    autozine.org

No, all TVR's have a 6K/6month service interval. The only difference between the AJP/SP6/RV8 is that the AJP & SP6 have tappets set at 12K services.

Al just takes someone elses design and modifies it. The AJP didn't actually work till the "J" in AJP spent some time on the engine and got it running after the "A" left TVR's employment.

Claire

Faksta:

Some were, some were Mr.Orange and some Mr.Blue.
    You can tell mine as the dash is painted Red.

I only have a small selection, most are press photos from the motorshow.

This one is pretty much all I have of my own as I can never get the proper colour and it gets annoying.

Claire
    Well, Claire, judging on your interior shot it appears to be not the same car - the one in test (PN05 OUL, BTW - I've found the magazine) had red leather covering for switchers behind the steering wheel, while yours has grey ones. And yes, the text says it's an 'Orange Chameleon' Sagaris. But on some pics the color of yours and PN05 seems absolutely identical

Ahh no, Mr.Orange is well Orange. My colour is best described as holding a Toffee Apple up to the light and thats the red/orange colour.

Mr.Orange went to top-gear etc as my paint work was £15K and TVR didnt want it damaging. She was trailered and therefore not registered for the first 18 months of her life and was registered in Jan 05.

Some of the publicity shots show my cars exterior but Mr.Orange interior cos I have painted dash etc where as the production models (Orange & Blue) dont, they have leather.

hope this clears up some confusion.

Claire

hope this clears up some confusion.

Claire

Yep, it well does

That's one super-sweet car!
    I was reading EVO this morning and was looking at the 'I bought one' section on the T350C and noticed that it's got a Digital Speedometer and 2 analogue dials, the back-to-front one being the rev-counter, but I can't work out what t'other does, I notice your car's got the same, I was hoping you'd be able to enlighten me on this and I was also wondering, since you mention the Chimeara as to whether the handbrakes actually function, my uncle had a 98 Chimaera 450 and found that he had to leave it in gear with bricks under the wheels (lived on a hill) and was told by someone at TVR that the handbrake wasn't actually connected...
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

nice pics

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    That's one super-sweet car!
    I was reading EVO this morning and was looking at the 'I bought one' section on the T350C and noticed that it's got a Digital Speedometer and 2 analogue dials, the back-to-front one being the rev-counter, but I can't work out what t'other does, I notice your car's got the same, I was hoping you'd be able to enlighten me on this and I was also wondering, since you mention the Chimeara as to whether the handbrakes actually function, my uncle had a 98 Chimaera 450 and found that he had to leave it in gear with bricks under the wheels (lived on a hill) and was told by someone at TVR that the handbrake wasn't actually connected...
    Hi, 2 dials are speedo and rev counter, the digial part also gives the speed, it also has several further screens that you scroll though and some you can customise to show, oil/air/water temp, battery volts, etc etc.

LOL...handbrakes are umm, slightly dodgy, they can be adjusted but to be honest, no matter what car I am in, I will always leave them in gear.

Regards
    Claire

also has several further screens that you scroll though and some you can customise to show, oil/air/water temp, battery volts, etc etc.
    probably quite important and usefull
    autozine.org

I was also wondering, since you mention the Chimeara as to whether the handbrakes actually function, my uncle had a 98 Chimaera 450 and found that he had to leave it in gear with bricks under the wheels (lived on a hill) and was told by someone at TVR that the handbrake wasn't actually connected...
    If I may add my own (Chimaera 400) experience, they do need a good yank to engage the handbrake. But it does work of a fashion, leaving in gear is a good habit tho.
    And Claire, welcome. This forum needs more of us TVR owners, I fear we're a dying breed.
    It is better to keep quiet and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Hi, 2 dials are speedo and rev counter, the digial part also gives the speed, it also has several further screens that you scroll though and some you can customise to show, oil/air/water temp, battery volts, etc etc.

LOL...handbrakes are umm, slightly dodgy, they can be adjusted but to be honest, no matter what car I am in, I will always leave them in gear.

Regards
    Claire
    But the anti-clockwise dial reads 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 and the clockwise one reads 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

But the anti-clockwise dial reads 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 and the clockwise one reads 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20
    Because the speedo is in tens of mph, and the rev counter in thousands of rpm.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

x1000 and x10?

The others are correct, speedo x10 & revs x1000

Thanks for all the welcomes

Claire

Open Vents?! Does that not cause a considerable amount of damage to the hood, or even the windscreen.

my question also was debris from tyre onto windscreen.
    Consider that “open” need not mean that there is simply a hole in the bodywork. It could have been meshed for example, so as to prevent debris from being thrown out of the top of the wheelarch.

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    Also the speed6 engine..one that i have always wanted more information about (damn Al Melling and his secrecy)...Is it time consuming and expensive to maintain? i hear that the engine is beuty when cared for, some people negelct how much attention a dry sump lubricated engine like this needs regular servicing, checks to ensure reliability. Do you have a regular garage contact, support plan? or is it much simpler.
    The Speed Six is actually nowhere near as “bad” as some people repeatedly insist on making it out to be in terms of maintenance and reliability. A mechanic friend services his Chimaera himself (and it’s a perfect example of the car), and reckons he could do almost as much work on a Speed Six engined Trev himself. If you’re comparing the engine to the M3’s then yes, it does require a LOT more TLC. But this isn’t an engine for a “soft” coupe intended for daily driving, this is the propulsion of a “proper” sports car. A Speed Six-fitted TVR’s service can cost around a grand, but when you consider that a BMW service can easily cost north of £500 anyway, it’s not such a bad deal, and compares favourably to other true performance cars, like Ferraris for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    The SP6 is much maligned. Yes the early ones had issues no denying that.
    She gets serviced every 6k or 6 months - usual TVR schedule. the tappets are done every 12. As long as you warm it up before driving off and check the oil every week you shouldnt have any issues.
    See – if cared for the Speed Six is costly no doubt, but it’s not a complete mess like some like to pretend.

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall
    I was reading EVO this morning and was looking at the 'I bought one' section on the T350C and noticed that it's got a Digital Speedometer and 2 analogue dials, the back-to-front one being the rev-counter, but I can't work out what t'other does, I notice your car's got the same, I was hoping you'd be able to enlighten me on this…But the anti-clockwise dial reads 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 and the clockwise one reads 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20
    Tom, you tool, any retard could have worked that one out for themselves! . Just to clarify, the anticlockwise dial is the rev counter, which measures to 9k rpm. The clockwise dial is the speedo, which measures to 200mph, with markings in increments of 20mph.

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall
    and I was also wondering, since you mention the Chimeara as to whether the handbrakes actually function, my uncle had a 98 Chimaera 450 and found that he had to leave it in gear with bricks under the wheels (lived on a hill) and was told by someone at TVR that the handbrake wasn't actually connected...
    As I’ve said to you before, TVRs are not the only cars with dodgy handbrakes – look at what happened to our yellow Mini!

Thanks for vouching for me, I know what its like when a new person turns up with a -not-exactly-normal-car )
    First of all: Welcome to UCP! It’s great to be joined by fellow TVR enthusiasts and owners. I eventually hope to own a Tuscan S (and I’m properly serious about that) but it’s a way off yet. For now I drive a Citroen C4 because at least it’s more interesting than the standard shopping “box-on-wheels”, and it suits my needs and requirements for a daily driver at the moment. With regards to your car, although I genuinely believe you’re not lying us, and you do show a genuine knowledge of TVRs, an “Egg-Nog” test would be beneficial to all - mostly to stop awkward questions such as:

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    Well, Claire, judging on your interior shot it appears to be not the same car - the one in test (PN05 OUL, BTW - I've found the magazine) had red leather covering for switchers behind the steering wheel, while yours has grey ones. And yes, the text says it's an 'Orange Chameleon' Sagaris. But on some pics the color of yours and PN05 seems absolutely identical
    Plus, I’m interested and would like to see more pictures of this car, especially if it’s a unique and significant car in TVRs history.

Is your car “PN05OUL”? If so, I have a couple of pictures that I’ll upload (I got them from a website I can't remember the name of, did you make one?) Also, if that is your car I have a few questions of my own that I’d like to ask…

No, the arches are double skinned and there are dense foam inserts as well, only on the sagaris racers were the arches open allowing stones to flick up.
    So in actual fact the wheelarches are completely blocked-off at the top?

I have taken the rear-diffuser off to be re-painted so it will look a bit funny, if its still daylight when I get out of work I will take some with my camera phone.
    Ah, assuming your car is “PN05OUL”, I’m guessing you’re repainting it due to the incident that caused it to split? That was unlucky, but at least TVRs can be repaired in this way – they’re not automatically written-off if one corner gets smashed-up for example.

Cost....a lot less than you would think....Less than £40K, as I have serious TVR connections I managed to get a VERY VERY good deal
    I’m listening…so how do I achieve said favourable position?

I cannot even go for petrol without people stopping to talk and take pics...no wonder I am always late.
    Haha. That’s the thing though: Do you blame them? I know I wouldn’t. It’s an awesome and gorgeous car, and that’s before you take the performance into account!

I go to a local indie for servicing and never had any issues.
    The Chim is a '99 car, I bought 3 years ago on 47K - she has just clocked 106K, changed clutch at 84K and is due a new cam soon as its the orginal one. Only issue..? Door solanoid.
    That’s awesome and more “piss on the fire” of those prats that constantly ridicule the brand.

Some of the publicity shots show my cars exterior but Mr.Orange interior cos I have painted dash etc where as the production models (Orange & Blue) dont, they have leather.
    What other unique features does your car have? It certainly seems very interesting.

Good practice and advice (take note Tom!), I always do the same even when driving cars, such as the C4, where I have no suspicion that the handbrake could be even slightly dodgy.

In fact, in some situations, it’s recommended NOT to use the handbrake, such as when the cars’ brakes are cooling down in the paddock after track use – simply leave the car in gear instead. But if you’ve been on trackdays with yours, you’d have already known that.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Thread Information