Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Amelia Island Concours

2010 Amelia Island Concours

Great weekend at Amelia, an automobile extravaganza! Weather was dodgy at first but cleared and the place was packed. Mercedes had a display and daily test drives available at the entrance to the hotel; when we arrived there were a dozen cars arranged for viewing including a 300SL next to the new AMG, which made an interesting comparison. Having already viewed the AMG up close, I still prefer the classic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

The large private collection of John O'Quinn was a large part of RM's auction list and included some extraordinary autos. The preview tent was just outside our room, and as the cars were rotated (over 140) for viewing it was hard not to keep going back to see what was next. Results were impressive... rather than try to post photos and sales, here's a link: RM AUCTIONS

A handful of microcars caught my attention, particularly a BMW 600. Speaking with the owner, a pleasant gentleman from Colorado, we agreed the 600 was undervalued and much rarer than the popular-cute Isetta. We also agreed it would be great if it sold above $30K or so. Sitting next to him when bidding raced off, I gave him a thumbs up when it hit $40,000... he called his wife to give her the good news. And the bidding continued to an amazing $67,500!

We all were astonished, and Dave was damn near giddy. A world record! His very nice little Bianchina did well too. And my old friend's white 850 Abarth surpassed estimate by $30K! Small is IN.

On the Concours lawn, a veritable feast was presented by organizer Bill Warner. Dream cars included Harley Earl's most famous creation:

Behold the diminutive and fascinating turbine-powered Ghia Streamline, which ran well... smelling like a kerosene garage heater.

And no turbine car display would be complete without THE Firebird!

I certainly enjoyed the show once again....could have done without all the wind though...that was the coolest temp I've experienced in the 6-7 times I have attended that show.

Nice pics!

Early lots from the RM auction included a 1915 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost London-Edinburgh Tourer, stunning 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4 Alloy Berlinetta, 1971 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Spyder and the unique 1912 Gobron-Brillie 12 CV Skiff Tourer.

Great stuff, CSL, what about all the Etceterinis?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Activity around the grounds were as interesting to watch as featured events...

On to the lawn... some random shots, not specifically etceterinis! Perhaps I should have gone by catagory but then would have spent the whole day just taking pictures. Good thing I don't do this for a living...

Big 40CV...and what on earth is this Offy engined contraption?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

looks like it was a great show again. went there a few years back, and it was great if not a bit overwhelming.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Two aero specials... from Cars You Never Knew Existed and Forgotten Fiberglass.

That's Smokey Yunick's 1964 Hurst Shifter Special, Henk. From a time when Indy racers still experimented:
    :: 1964 Smokey Yunick Side Car, Hurst Shifter Special ::

"1964 Smokey Yunick Side Car, Hurst Shifter Special
    Perhaps the most unusual car ever to compete at Indy, Smokey teamed up with George Hurst to field the Hurst Floor Shift Spl. featuring an outboard driver capsule. In 1964, Yunick showed up at the track with one of the most radical cars ever to enter the 500-mile race. Called the Hurst Floor Shift Special, it featured a catamaran-like layout with the driver placed in a pod adjacent to a second pod containing the engine, front and rear suspension, fuel tank, and radiator. Unfortunately, his driver Bobby Johns—the guy who almost won the Daytona 500 with Smokey’s Pontiac in 1960—had trouble adjusting to the car’s handling characteristics and eventually backed it into the wall during the last day of qualifying."
    Last edited by csl177; 03-17-2010 at 11:36 AM.

Thread Information